NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick First Light on Meade 16" Lightbridge

Sam

What a monster! and that was just the box it came in!

Assembly took about 20 minutes, including the "help" from my four year old. The base is particle board and seems sturdy enough, though it will probably need reinforcing after a couple of years. The mirror cell is quite heavy (as one would expect) and assembly of the trusses and top bit is quite simple - a one person job, though care is required!

I'm going to need a trolley for this fella! taking it outside was a bit of a mission but after a bit of grunting and straining I got it set up nicely on the paving stones - no polar aligning! yippie!!! I forgot how easy Dobs were. I probably went out a tad early as it was still very bright and no stars were visible to the naked eye (with glasses). But that didn't stop me putting in the eyepiece (a big monster 2" thing, Meade GX Wide Angle 26mm), found an out of focus blob almost straight away which allowed me to get the focus right. Also found out straight away that the f 4.5 is not very forgiving on eyepieces - the centre of the FOV was very sharp though.

Unfortunately then the cloud started to role in - still very light but Saturn was just starting to get visible through the glasses so I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a good viewing of Saturn through the new scope. Wow :shock: with the 26mm the view was crystal clear - cassini division, ring shadow and planet banding - all visible - as long as I kept the planet in the centre of the FOV.

Very very very happy with the new scope! unfortunately the ;) put an end to further reviewing - so hopefully there'll be a part 2 in a few days!

cheers

Sam

Archived