NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq-5 synscan failure

scottphillips

Hi guys,

Ok so last night I got my mount polar aligned etc and turned the power on to go through the star align,

Entered all the correct details then selected the 1st alignment star,

The mount started moving then stopped within a second and the handset displayed, slew limit warning ?

Had a problem with the mount not slewing for a few weeks now but checked the motors and gears and they are fine so I can't understand what it is ?

Any help is appreciated in advance

Did you eneter the long / latitude  correctly into the handset.  I'm sure that slew limit is where the mount thinks it's slewing to a point below the horizon.  There is also a slew limit option in the heandset menu - have a look and either change them or disable limits on the mount, but be careful as then you could end up with the scope striking a leg of the tripod.

If you can't find a slew limit option then you may need to update the firmware on the controller - downladable from SW website

The tool for updating firmware and the firmware can be found on the SW website. 

http://www.skywatcher.com/downloads.php

You connect the serial cable that came with the mount / handset to the hanset, with the other end to a serial port on the PC.  If you don't have a serial port then you'll need a USB to serial adaptor.

Personally I gave up with the handset and use EQMOD and a PC for the control, but I do have a permenant set up.

There is an option in the hanset to adjust or turn off the slew limits; if I am understanding your problem correctly. The handset is just trying to stop the telescope from bashing into the mount.

James

Ok thanks guys I'll give that a go

Just to clarify my scope was in the polar home position and no where near bashing into the mount, also I selected vega which was reasonably high up and not far from where my scope was pointing so it didn't need to slew much

Ok thanks guys I'll give that a go

Just to clarify my scope was in the polar home position and no where near bashing into the mount, also I selected vega which was reasonably high up and not far from where my scope was pointing so it didn't need to slew much

Did it try to slew in the right direction......

I've had one or two problems with Goto mounts not working properly, in both cases having to be returned to the retailer under guarantee. Consequently, when I bought my last mount, an EQ6, I went down the non-Goto route and use the setting circles. Personally I find I'm more accurate with those than a Goto set up.

Longitude and Latitude should have been maintained from when you set them and were happy.

That basically leaves: Date, DST and possibly AM or PM being incorrect input.

The obvious is check the date, since yesterday was 6 August 2015 you may have dropped back to UK format and entered 06/08/2105 meaning 8 June 2015 to the scope and software, both number orders would be valid so the handset would not squeek.

If you forgot DST then just be more observant and the same for AM/PM, usually best to set to 24 hours time format for this I find.

I guess Date, it is too easy to forget and at the start of each month the numbers can be valid, and we are in this period.

I Definately imputed the correct details as I have an app that shows my exact long lat etc and the date and time etc

The mount made the noise as if it was going to slew but it didn't move an inch and stopped ? Sometimes the slew warning comes up and other times it doesn't

Archived