NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED80 using Celestron F6.3 reducer

moondog

Rus suggested an adaptor that would work with the ED80 and the Celestron reducer. I bought the fitting and it works fine with both my Canon 350D EOS and the Atik16 HRC (with a 30mm spacer behind the adaptor - thanks to Dave 'Centroid' for the info.) It turns the ED80 into an approx. F4.8 by 380mm FL scope. I only got the adaptor for imaging but if you're interested it will only work visually without the star diagonal

Here's a pic of the adaptor fitted to the reducer :-

5536_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Here's the link to the fitting (it took 3 weeks to arrive):-

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/antares/astro-camera-adaptor/2inch-sct/camera.html

MD

Gaz

I suppose most manufacturers could cut a bit off the ends of scopes to give extra in-travel. It's a lot easier adding an extension tube rather than sawing the end off!. I guess this adaptor should also work OK with an ED 100 & 120.

Before I use it with the Atik16 HRC I'll need a 2 ins IR Cut filter though.... mods always seem to involve extra cash, don't they?

MD

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this would work on a WO Megrez 90? Would you get reasonable field flatness? Since these reducers are designed to operate on a different optical system with a greater f-ratio, I suspect it would not be a as good as a dedicated WO reducer, but it would be a lot cheaper as I already have a Meade F6.3 reducer! There may be a back focus issue though. How is it on the ED80 - is there a noticable improvement in field flatness?

Beetlejuice - The set up with the ED80 only works for my DSLR & CCD. With an EP I can't get sufficient in focus (except without the star diagonal). I guess that the Williams flattener will work well visually.

Since I've not had the night skies to test the set up on DSO's, I've only used both the DSLR & CCD on day time subjects. The cows in the field opposite certainly seemed to show no vignetting and good 'field flatness' !

Steppenwolf - If I ever get a decent sky (not the present 'soupy' one) I'll post a pic for you. I would be surprised if it doesn't work OK though.

MD

same setup here but I use a filter wheel as the spacer,

the only scope I've owned that it didn't work on was the 120f5 Skywatcher refractor, that is until it had an accident with a hacksaw. now it's 3" shorter it works just fine :angry:

Ian

Archived