Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron SLT mount ?

Hello again

Well I took the plunge and purchased a Celestron 60slt on ebay (for a very good price) just to get the mount. Now while I await delivery I am pondering which OTA's to mount on it. So the question is, which have been tried already and which are likely candidates. Also does anybody know the official weight/size specifications for OTA's on this mount.

James

James,

I bought a used SKYMAX 127 Maksutov that someone split from a Supertrak mount and that works fine. Focusing is a little difficult at high powers with the legs of the SLT at maximum though.

With the 60mm SLT mount it's a difficult/impossible actually getting the SKYMAX 127 mounted. You need to remove/modify the plastic shroud that encloses the dovetail mount.

I also use my Helios a.k.a Skywatcher Startravel 102mm and the mount handles it very well indeed. The Startravel 102 fitted easily because I was using scope rings and a dovetail bar, the scope rings leave a gap sufficient for the scope to miss the shroud.

I have heard of people mounting Celestron C5's as well.

--

Martyn

Archived