Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you see in 3D? With LOA-21s you can!

BillP

I think the 21mm eyepieces from Pingster may well be just like stock EP's, not that that makes the problems right, Bill is a very experienced observer and would be too sharp to get caught out by poor eyepieces.

Eyepieces IMO are all good, especially when it comes to off-axis...when used in the proper telescopes!  So not each design is meant to be used in any focal ratio scope.  When you mate the eyepiece up with a scope with the correct focal ratio for the eyepiece's operating range, then all is nirvana :-)  Slowly I have been ridding all my fast focal ratio scopes and it has been a joy as now most any eyepiece works just fine in my scopes.  So now all my scopes but one are in the f/7-f/8 range.  I do have the one 10" f/4.7 Dob.  Hard to have that be longer.  But am going to upgrade that to a 12" f/5 soon I hope.  But I will not demand EPs work perfectly in it. 

On bino EPs, since the majority of the time the bino will have an OCA/Barlow device, you can get away with a less corrected design.  The new LOA-21s are a 5 or 6 element design...I think 5.  I have not tried them mono but will this weekend in my Dob with Paracorr.  So not how it is supposed to be used, so should not be judged that way.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been a long time since i used them so i have to go from memory. But i remember these lens are awful and put them away to never use again. I got them with my denki 2 super system. I also have a paire of williams optics and a baader mrk5 bino. Tried the eyepieces in all three binos. As far as i can remember they have a slight colour to them. When looking at planets and the moon about 50% out from the fov the circular objects distort into ovals very disturbingly. Hence stars outside the middle flare awfully.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

I have the Denkmeier -27 system, with a pair of D21's amongst others.

I find them an excellent eyepiece, sharp to the edge, and virtually colour free.

But the best pair I now have, are the Docter 12.5mm, superb views.

Docters are considered as one of the "ultimate" wide view EP pairs for binos,but they do come at some considerable cost.Never looked through a pair of them,but have seen numerous posts praising these.I have however looked through pairs of different Televues,ES,Meades,Maxvisions and numerous different manufactured plossl and ortho combos.Issues a lot of people will find is the eye placement due to EP size,my main criteria for bino combo:

1.Comfortable eye placement

2.over all Sharpness

3.Light transmission.

Had a Denk2,loved it,but limitation of 26mm prisms pushed me to sell them.Currently using custom built Carl Zeiss Binoviewer with 30mm prisms with Zeiss T* coating for extra light transmission and 30mm openings on both sides.This allows me to use even a pair of Baader 35mm Eudiascopics without vignetting and gives me the widest possible FOV.

Docters are considered as one of the "ultimate" wide view EP pairs for binos,but they do come at some considerable cost.Never looked through a pair of them,but have seen numerous posts praising these.I have however looked through pairs of different Televues,ES,Meades,Maxvisions and numerous different manufactured plossl and ortho combos.Issues a lot of people will find is the eye placement due to EP size,my main criteria for bino combo:

1.Comfortable eye placement

2.over all Sharpness

3.Light transmission.

Had a Denk2,loved it,but limitation of 26mm prisms pushed me to sell them.Currently using custom built Carl Zeiss Binoviewer with 30mm prisms with Zeiss T* coating for extra light transmission and 30mm openings on both sides.This allows me to use even a pair of Baader 35mm Eudiascopics without vignetting and gives me the widest possible FOV.

Thats great setup, especially binoviewer!

Now you need only great Carl Zeiss Aspheric 25mm eyepeices from selected collection for ultimate performance  :grin:

Thats great setup, especially binoviewer!

Now you need only great Carl Zeiss Aspheric 25mm eyepeices from selected collection for ultimate performance  :grin:

not being funny Denis,but i doubt there will be much of a jump in performance between zeiss aspherics and my current Ep`s.Slight maybe,but maybe also not.As such,i will stick with what i have.

Attached here is a "simulated" 3D view to give an idea of how view is changed when viewing though the LOAs.  Note, this is a constructed FOV and not an actual picture.

post-31982-0-35923700-1437762037.jpg

Archived