NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher SKYMAX-127 SupaTrak AUTO

Well it came today and the clouds stayed away ;) I have a 200mm skywatcher newt with an EQ5 mount which I really like but it takes a while to set up and is a bit on the heavy side. So as a second scope I ordered the Skymax 127 with SupaTrak. This scope is a real delight to use. It took me only a few minutes to set up on the SupaTrak mount and I decided to look at Saturn first. It gave crisp clear views of the planet at 200X mag. I cant wait to see the moon!! At £299 this scope is very good value and would recommend it to anyone just starting out in astronomy. Only thing I need now is a dew shield. Can anyone recommend one please. Also am I allowed to clean the main lens and do these scopes ever need collimating?

Thanks

ken

Sounds Great! ;)

Haven't needed to collimate mine yet (18 months+) - And it's had quite a few "adventures", with my (ahem) DIY activities. I think unless you DROP them... (not recommended!) or it's obviously bad, leave well alone?

I tried one of the commercial roll-up Dew Shields - Many folk LIKE them, but I found it hard to get it (one) to FIT the MAK127. The circumference seems quite critical and one for "another" manufacturer's 5" scope, didn't work well for ME. :(

Then someone suggested "camping roll". A stanley knife, bit o' Velcro (imagination etc.)... Et Voila! I found this much easier to cope with - No Springiness, almost ZERO mass etc. I used a BLACK one of THESE - But I see generic rolls are quite a bit cheaper - Then you can make LOTS of Dew Shields... should you so wish? :mrgreen:

Hi Chris, thanks for your comments. The dew shield DIY sounds interesting, do you have a picture? Do you clean the main lens? Also is it worth keeping my (almost new) Skywatcher 200mm Newt when I have the 127MAK? Both show planets really well and deep sky objects (I think the 200mm newt has the edge slightly) I tried my 24mm Hyperion on the MAK and found it didnt sit on the diagnol very well due to its width. Also it gave a barrell effect when looking through the eyepiece? So may go back to my Baader Genuine Ortho. Last question the starfinder is ok but I had to almost strain my neck when looking directly above. Maybe I should get one of the right angle jobs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance from one VERY satisfied 127MAK user. ken

Hello "Keenyboy!"

I have the 90mm version of the Skywatcher Maksutov (yes and although I too have the Skywatcher 200mm Newt, I've been thinking about buying a 127 Mak!).

I bought a little 6x30 right angled finder for my Mak, and find if easier to use that the Red Dot "fiddler" (as someone else calls them!).

The prism end of the right angled finder can be "swivelled" to suit whatever angle your scope is on.

Sorry I can't send a photo right now - I'm in work!

Regards,

philsail1

Hi Chris, thanks for your comments. The dew shield DIY sounds interesting, do you have a picture?

As Eric Morcambe might have said: "Oh yes"... :mrgreen:

Camping.jpg

But seriously, this shows my initial "go", with the camping mat. Basically I cut a rectangle to wrap around the circumference of the MAK (and my 4" refractor!). The temporary "white tape" (here) is now replaced by a velcro system. Some people make a multi-layer "Swiss Roll"(?) - I tried to accurately cut a single layer Dew Shield. :(

Do you clean the main lens?

Don't ASK - Smirnoff Vodka (Emphatically NOT recommended outside "Macavity world"!)

FWIW, I am thinking of buying some of that... "Baader lens cleaning stuff"? :lol:

Also is it worth keeping my (almost new) Skywatcher 200mm Newt when I have the 127MAK? Both show planets really well and deep sky objects (I think the 200mm newt has the edge slightly)

I bow to (much) WISER SGL sages on this one...

I tried my 24mm Hyperion on the MAK and found it didnt sit on the diagnol very well due to its width. Also it gave a barrell effect when looking through the eyepiece? So may go back to my Baader Genuine Ortho

I VERY MUCH like my Baader "screw on" T2 Diagonal - A bit Expensive (for me), but fits Hyperions like glove! :)

Last question the starfinder is ok but I had to almost strain my neck when looking directly above. Maybe I should get one of the right angle jobs.

I'm a sort of "convert" to the (again) Baader Skysurfer V. Unlike the cheaper "rifle sight" things, it does not diminish star brightness is light and EASY to use. Doesn't have the "light gathering" of a 9x50 finder, but has sufficient accuracy to use with the MAK - Even at it's high-ish powers? ;)

Hi Chris, not aesthetically pleasing but I'm sure it does the job ;) I have the baader cleaning liquid with special cloth which costs £9.99 but dare not use it until I know you can clean the lens at the front manually without expert help. Well its not exactly a mirror is it so should be OK I think :( Thanks for the picture and comments. I like the look of the finder you mentioned. I have ordered a new sky-watcher 1.25 di Electric diagonal http://www.f1cameras.co.uk/accessories_shop.php?id=502&level= and hope that will allow me to use my 24mm Hyperion for wide angle use. ( cant explain the barrel effect I got last night with the Hyperion) The standard super 25mm that comes with the 127MAK was OK. Thanks again, Ken.

Nice set up Macavity's got there!

I have used my 9x50 straight through finder on my 90mm Mak, and it works fine - but you are in the same position of "cricking" your neck to find things. I would have liked to have got hold of a 9x50 right angled finder but they are just too expensive.

The beauty of the little 6x30 right angled finder is (by chance, as I bought it second hand) that it gives an upright, right way round view of whatever I'm looking at, which is the same as the 45degree diagonal I bought with the 90mm Mak.

So, all I would say is that if you are getting an optical right angled finderscope, ensure that it gives the same orientated view as your Mak, otherwise it could be confusing!

With reard to keeping the 8" Newt if I bought a 127 Mak? I just couldn't say Kennyboy. Without being able to compare (as you have been able to do) it's difficult. However!! Because I am so pleased with the excellent views through my 90mm Mak (which I bought for taking on "field" trips to do some bird and animal "digiscoping"), I might be tempted to sell the 8" if the views and versatility of the 127 proved that good (which from what you are saying, sounds as if they are!).

I think that if I had known what the Maksutovs can do, when I was looking for my first scope, I would have bought one at the start. We all have to live and learn! (experience can be an expensive teacher!!).

Regards,

philsail1

By the Way Kennyboy - I made my own "dew shield" for my 90mm mak, simply from a rolled up tube of black "flocked" cardboard (I had some flocking left over after doing the newt with it).

I think that if I had known what the Maksutovs can do, when I was looking for my first scope, I would have bought one at the start. We all have to live and learn! (experience can be an expensive teacher!!).

Funny that, Philsail - I do think EXACTLY the same thing! The 90mm MAK was still the "sharpest" scope I've ever had, whatever the other criteria - Wish I hadn't had to part with... her! Indeed, all the "messing around", being "in hock" 'til retirement, might have been avoided? Ah well! ;)

My sentiments indeed Macavity!

Kennyboy - just re-read your post! Ah, you have a right angled finder already!! Then, sure, i would try it on your 127 Mak. If it's come from the Skywatcher range, then it should fit the existing shoe on the Mak.

(Now, how can I get my hands on one of those 127 Maks!)

Regards,

phisail1

Hi Phillsail, I guess you will have to part with your hard earned pennies ;) My wife cant understand why I have bought another scope!! As you say experience can be expensive! You dont see many of these 127MAKs for sale so must be a precious thing..those in the forums I have read who sold their maks regretted it and bought another!! I love its size and potential (what more can I say)

Ken

Also is it worth keeping my (almost new) Skywatcher 200mm Newt when I have the 127MAK? Both show planets really well and deep sky objects (I think the 200mm newt has the edge slightly)

Hi Kenny

I'm following your new purchase with interest as the 127Mak is on my short list.

I'm surprised with the above statement, I know it's early days yet but I would like to know which scope gives best views of Saturn and the moon.

Paul

Hi Paul, which statments were you suprised with? I have the 200mm newt and views of Saturn are wonderful with my hyperion 5mm and 3.5 lenses. But with the Equitorial mount (EQ5) and goto system it can take a while to set up. The wonderful thing about the 127MAK with the SupaTrak mount is it only takes mins to set up and I get excellent views of Saturn, but as I said the newt has the edge in terms of brigtness. But the image is sharp in the 127MAK and a good size to view. So I guess I will be using the 127 MAK more often than my Newt.

Regards

Ken

Hello Ken

It was when you said “I think the 200mm newt has the edge slightly” when I read the word slightly my ears pricked up. I was expecting more of a difference but if it’s only slightly then it just wets my appetite for the Mak even more.

Paul

Hi Paul, I will keep my 127 MAK for planets and lunar and the Newt 200mm Skywatcher for deep sky which has the wider FOV. I think both instruments compliment each other. Last night I got the 127MAK out to look at Mars and Saturn. Mars was just a redish disk with not much detail while Saturn was excellent. I was also impressed with the tracking abilities of the SupaTrak AUTO. Once focused on the planets it held the views for a good 12 mins before having to move back to the centre of the FOV. Very impressed with that and the ease of use. Only took 4 mins to set up ;)

I was also impressed with the tracking abilities of the SupaTrak AUTO. Once focused on the planets it held the views for a good 12 mins before having to move back to the centre of the FOV. Very impressed with that and the ease of use. Only took 4 mins to set up ;)

I've found that even on a fairly rough polar alignment it held the target in the FOV for 40 to 45 minutes.

I think that the only thing that really lets it down is the tripod.

Archived