NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Video camera as a guide camera?

nightvision

I have a cheap Opticstar guide cam, it seems pretty hopeless as a guide cam; not at all sensitive especially if there is any light pollution, I have plenty most nights!  :sad:

I was considering trying out a video camera and was looking at these 2 board cameras to attach to the guide scope:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/600TVL-SONY-SUPER-HAD-CCD-D%252dWDR-Color-Board-Camera-with-OSD-Menu-DNR.html

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/Dim-Light-Lens-700TVL-SONY-CCD-Effio%252dP-DSP-Board-Camera-Low-Lux.html

I think the Effio-P specification means they have a sens-up function.

Has anyone tried using one these board cameras for guiding? 

I also thought about using a SCB-2000 for guiding but not sure if any of these will sensitive enough, my SCB-4000 arrives next week so I may do tests to see how that performs as a guide camera, if it works I'll get a cheap SCB-2000.

Tony.

Hi.. guiding ?? Are you looking to add a camera to a scope and guide via stark labs ect via a cable to your mount or is it a wide field scope camera combo for a rough visual guiding..

the board cams would need modified as it has a bult in lens that screws in and out to achieve focus. .you would need to swap this to a c type to fit a scope adapter.

The scb2000 is used as a main imaging camera so it's more than capable to be used as a guide camera.

guiding is not normally used on video astronomy we are using a faster capture camera than astrophotographers so if you already have the kit use it .. but not necessarily needed for video astronomy. We just require a tracking mount, a goto mount is a luxury lol.

Hope this helps.davy

Thanks that does help, video astronomy is completely new to me, got to get out of the DSLR frame of mind and just let the mount track, yet another attraction of the world of video.  Really looking forward to some dark nights and it sounds like the Samsung will outperform my old guide camera should I ever go back to DSLR imaging.

Archived