Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Equinox 80 Finderscope position

Hi All

I've just received my Equinox from FLO (Thanks, took two days!), and all is in good condition. In fact it's a very nice piece of kit. The OTA's weight really surprised me. 

However, I've got a question/problem: My mount of choice for this is the AZ4, which means the "l-shaped" foot is inserted to the right (see picture). That means the finder dovetail ends up down and to the left....... which to me is not ideal.

I've tried to see whether it is possible to switch the finder bracket and the foot, but that's not optimal, because the thread-size is different for each.

Have any of you had this problem and overcome it? It's not an optimal position, but thankfully I got a right-angled finderscope--otherwise I'd be tearing my hair out at this point.

It's livable, but....

I'll be sure to write up a first light report (once we actually have some seeable weather, it's been terrible for 9 days now).

/ulf

post-44554-0-58974000-1436465092.jpg

Your dovetail is actually a tripod bush. You'd need to remove it and replace with a standard dovetail and tube rings in order to turn the scope up to it's logical position for the finder. Or use a different mount/tripod. Hth :)

Your dovetail is actually a tripod bush. You'd need to remove it and replace with a standard dovetail and tube rings in order to turn the scope up to it's logical position for the finder. Or use a different mount/tripod. Hth :)

I've finally figured that. Fancy that didn't cross my mind. Funny that the (astronomy savvy) salespeople didn't mention that when I specifically asked whether this tool-chain made sense.

Ah well, more money down the proverbial.

Thanks.

Just pop a 40mm eyepiece in and don't bother with a finder scope! lol

True dat, however I intend that this scope more or less permanently has the Baader Hyperion Zoom installed--only at 24mm the AFOV is a bit limited.

Well, it just goes to show that one should think things through. Turns out there's an L bracket that you have to use (thought it was for camera use), as well as unscrewing a screw on the mount so as to install the handle there instead.

With that done, everything works, and the finderscope is the right way up.

Would have been nice to have a manual point that out, though, since this was a non-trivial case of trial and error, at least for me.

Ah well, everything works the way it should, now.

Archived