NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Has anybody used a TS 14" RC

May as well add to this: I have not read of anyone having a 14" RC on here, so I doubt little direct experience from anyone.

They are the sort of scope that if anyone says they have one it sticks in the memory.

Have a recollection that Olly, and or one other person, had a smaller one when they possibly first appeared, and gave some feedback to TS/GSO on problems and possible fixes - long time back however and I may be 100% wrong.

Neither will I guess help on the details of the mirror mount arrangement.

Thanks Ronin,

I wasn't too hopeful that anybody would have first hand experience and it seems that you are right - nobody on this forum has direct experience, but thought I would ask anyway,

There have been several threads about the GSO 12" problems and I was  looking for experience with the updated GSO backplate and mirror support but it looks like I'll just have to take a risk

Derrick

Hi -just my two pennyworth - have just upgraded from 8 inch RCT to 12 inch - big big learning curve - very heavy scope needing a big mount careful balancing and cone error adjustment- guiding has to be much better - a 14inch is very hefty scope and now having grappled with a 12  I would be cautious- best wishes Tony

I haven't used one of these or, indeed, any other RC. I used a 14 inch ODK for two years, one belonging to Yves Van den Broek.

I know that several people in the trade have tried to sort out the mirror cell and focuser mounting problems afflicting the larger GSO RCs. Some gave up while others now list their own modified versions. I'd certainly want to see some result images before splashing out, though.

Olly

Hi -just my two pennyworth - have just upgraded from 8 inch RCT to 12 inch - big big learning curve - very heavy scope needing a big mount careful balancing and cone error adjustment- guiding has to be much better - a 14inch is very hefty scope and now having grappled with a 12  I would be cautious- best wishes Tony

Thanks Tony,

I've previously owned both a 12.5" and a 16" RC so I'm pretty familiar with the exacting guiding requirements etc. and, as a 17 stone ex-rugby prop, I'm pretty sure I can manage the lower weight of the 14" if I go that way.

I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of your 12" especially if it has the modified rear plate that decouples the mirror from the focuser assembly.

As Olly points out below there have been several horror stories of the hoops people have had to jump through to modify the GSO/Altair 12" RCs to resolve collimation and collimation stability issues but most if not all of these pre-date the modifications that the manufacturer and/or OEMs have made in recent times.

I haven't used one of these or, indeed, any other RC. I used a 14 inch ODK for two years, one belonging to Yves Van den Broek.

I know that several people in the trade have tried to sort out the mirror cell and focuser mounting problems afflicting the larger GSO RCs. Some gave up while others now list their own modified versions. I'd certainly want to see some result images before splashing out, though.

Olly

Hi Olly,

You've hit the nail on the head - I'm not prepared to buy a scope then have to re-manufacture it to make it perform as intended/advertised. I have previously owned two RCs manufactured by (no longer trading) RCOS and these were a joy to use but cost 4-5x the GSO types.

The new backplate and 18 point support mirror cell of the 14" plus GSO scopes may well resolve the serious issues of the previous versions but, as you point out, it is maybe too risky to be the guinea pig.

Derrick

I don't have the 14" but I did get the 10" GSO. Here is my thread on installation. The collimation holds very well. I did change the focuser to a R&P since the stock one was fairly basic.

Thanks for the link; I really like the way you took power to the secondary heater.

Whilst I would really like the extra focal length of the 14" it just seems like a big risk to take - there seem to be none "in the wild" as far as I can establish so I'm going to settle for the 12".

I had decided to upgrade to an R&P focuser so its good to know that you are happy with this upgrade.

Regards

Derrick

Hi - the 12 inch seems great so far with good imaging potential- first image seems good with great detail-steep learning curve however as the heavy scope and longer FL means guiding and set up have been a slow process which I have finally cracked - Altair Astro offer their own rear cell set up for a cost which I went for rather than risk collimation pinched optics issues that were reported previously with some 12 inch RCTs but Altair and Nick were a great help to me and the scop is eay to collimate holds it and has no pinching that I can discern - a good handle on these heavy scopes is a good idea and Altair do a good solid aluminium one - best wishes Tony

Hi Tony,

thanks for the feedback, good to know that you are not experiencing the problems widely reported with the earlier versions and that the rear cell modification seems to be working for you.

I chickened out on being a guinea pig for the 14" - there are just none currently out there as far as I could find. I have ordered the 12" from Teleskop Express with the modified rear cell and sturdier R&P focuser; it should look the d's bs on my Mesu200.

Regards

Derrick

Hi Derrick- that should be OK but I should point out that I paid for Altair's Deep Field chassis not the new standard mod - these scopes should also be fine because I know that GSO redesigned these scopes because of feedback from users of the old 12inch RCT's and improved the number of supports on the the primary cell and its general design - best of luck - would be very interested to swap notes when you get your new scope-best wishes  Tony

Archived