Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Image size - Atik 420 vs Canon 550D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks Rob, never thought or known of such problem, I guess I was more worried about my pocket .... lol.  :laugh:, that brings to the next question .... if I decided to go with CCD (let's say Atik 420), what filter size I should buy, 1.25" or 2", given the sensor size is much smaller ?

Thanks again Rob.

I'd say the best place to start is with the Atik 314L+ or an equivallently chipped camera (that uses the Sony 285 sensor). Most things will fit on the chip, and its super clean. You can use 1.25" filters on that camera no problem at all. In fact, the 314L+ was so good - I had two of em! They pretty much eat Ha for breakfast.

You can do an awful lot with one good mono camera and just three filters (L, Ha & OIII).

It's a fairly common error to think that shrinking the chip magnifies the image. This, though, is like thinking that an empty loo roll can be used as a telescope. Restricting FOV and magnifying are not the same thing.  :grin:

Olly

Stick with thinking about the FOV, or more usefully in this context the apparent angular separation of features in the image. Using the term magnification in the context of fitting a galaxy 50,000 light years across on to a 20 or 30mm wide chip is questionable in my view!

Archived