Celestron f/6.3 Focal Reducer for MAK or SCT

RichMK

Hi

If I bought a Celestron f/6.3 Focal Reducer for a Celestron SE 5 will it cut the focal length as the information says and therefore helping the DSO side to the more planetary viewing aspect to these type of telescope?

I've not bought anything yet, just ideas.

Rich

Your title mentioned the Maksutov type of scope. Russell is correct in what he says it will reduce you focal length and increase your field of view though not with the same eyepieces. I did not understand that your scope had 2 inch fiitings so I leant something too.

I have the Meade version of the this which is probably exactly the same thing and whilst I once read you could use these on a Maksutov's it does not seem work on my F15 180mm Mak, it vignettes badly as it will on yours if you use long F/L eyepieces.

Personally I don't find them a great deal of use as they reduce the F/L of eyepieces you can use, my 12 inch SC with a 41mm gives about X74mag, with the reducer it give about X62 but then I can only use a 2 inch 28mm eyepieces without vignetting, there is not a massive difference in the FOV gain. I don't think I have used mine now for about 4 years for me they are more about a faster scope for photography.

Alan

Archived