Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Posidonius - how have I missed this before?

ghostdance

While awaiting a fluid head arrival to complete the 90 Mak grab/go set up, I thought I'd try a few minutes of Moon-looking yesterday evening using a trigger-grip (not ideal as it moves in all axes and makes steady observing and aligning a right workout, but it suffices for larger objects).

Through the 90, contrast was not so great - being still daylight I guess -  but I started off with my old friend Proclus which was lovely and bright. Then I stumbled across what I initially thought was a huge curved Rupes or rift or what not, running into a smaller crater but turned out to be the rampart-like eastern rim of Posidonius, with Pos B at its head. A beautiful and arresting sight that was well-highlighted in the First Quarter, and one I'd not noticed before.  

I hoped to pick it up when the sky finally darkened - well, you know, ish! - but by then the chimneys and our large iron butterfly (I kid you not) were in the way...a crater to return to methinks. Tonight if the gods permit. May get the reflector tho, my gun-hand is exhausted :)

I can only assume I've missed this great feature by observing when the Moon is getting older so the rim has not been so distinct. What a fascinating crater! Time to get out the books and learn a bit about it.

I love our Moon, summat new every time. And the old never gets tired :D

Archived