SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

upgradable or not, please help

Gutross

I have my friends nexstar 114 GT, and i have been trying to find out how to upgrade the firmware on it. i have looked many places and i am getting conflicting reports weither it can be upgraded or not, some sources state that everything except the original handheld is user upgradable, and others state that only V4 or higher units are upgradable.  i honestly have no idea what information is correct, and the celestron live help is never online

ive looked up the nexstar+ handset and the item description

"The Celestron NexStar+ AZ Hand Control is a standard accessory on all altazimuth mounted NexStar-style telescopes, and is compatible with the Celestron SLT, LCM, SE, and CPC computerized telescopes."

so i have sent them a ticket getting further explanation weither or not the GT is compatable because the GT line Became the SLT

Well well welll, this day has gotten better in the last 15 minutes,  i found a random post here on the forum refering to nexremote, that may just bypass needing upgrades or buying a new HC. as it uses the origional HC to comunicate!

yes there is, I have learned more here in the couple months ive been a member than i did through books, and gazing when i was a teen!

i love technology

yet at the same time it does give us the worst headaches  LOL

Technology did not hit where I am originally  from untill a couple of years ago (4*2 island off another island off Mainland Wales :grin: )

I bet your skies are amazing! being on an island offers great distance to heavilly light poluted areas i hope

Hi Gutross,

When at home the skies are excellent, but light pollution creeps in from the port sometimes. Some excellent dark sites from the nearby mountain(just qualifies at 720'). But great sea horizons.. Quality not great taken a few years ago.

post-3788-0-57618900-1434990381_thumb.jp

Hi Gutross,

When at home the skies are excellent, but light pollution creeps in from the port sometimes. Some excellent dark sites from the nearby mountain(just qualifies at 720'). But great sea horizons.. Quality not great taken a few years ago.

attachicon.gifHarbour_2.jpg

that is a beautiful view!

even though the nexremote states it will work with the original gt apparently it does not work with anything prior to rev 4.....  so i decided to see if there was ANYTHING out there that would control this darn scope from the pc. i found RTGUI and guess wat,, it moves the scope! i look forward to testing this out

even though the nexremote states it will work with the original gt apparently it does not work with anything prior to rev 4.....  so i decided to see if there was ANYTHING out there that would control this darn scope from the pc. i found RTGUI and guess wat,, it moves the scope! i look forward to testing this out

Try Carte du Ciel http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start. You will also need to download the ASCOM platform from here  http://ascom-standards.org/ together with the ascom Celestron mount drivers from the same site.

When using these programs would i do a twostar align on the scope or just quick align level and pointed north?  the primary issue i wanted to upgrade/pc control is the alignment is always way off and from what ive seen its normal with this handset

Try Carte du Ciel http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start. You will also need to download the ASCOM platform from here  http://ascom-standards.org/ together with the ascom Celestron mount drivers from the same site.

I cant thank you enough! installed Carte du Ceil, and the ASCOM/Drivers. it worked immediately and once i can get out at night, and i think i can refine the alignment with the sync function!!!! Very excited for tonight!

Archived