Traveling with a 10" dob?

I'm bringing it to a star party tonight and am using my friends truck since my car can barely fit a pair of binoculars inside of it. The truck will be full of 'family' types. 

What's the best way to 'travel' with a semi-large dob? Tube upright? Horizontal? Hanging off a rope from the tow hitch and bouncing all over the road?

Tube in the passenger seat wearing seatbelt,mount on back seat and friend either on the roof or in the "trunk".

Job done.

Let me rephrase my original question, sorry:

Trucks full of people (women and children, can't be tied down to the top), so everything has to go in the bed.  :p

Let me rephrase my original question, sorry:

Trucks full of people (women and children, can't be tied down to the top), so everything has to go in the bed.  :p

You Americans.............no sense of humour. :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Obviously, people safety comes first. Stick the Dob tube and base in the bed (AS TWO PARTS) and make sure they are safe and secure. Dont hit any potholes in the road at 50 M/P/H.

You Americans.............no sense of humour. :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Obviously, people safety comes first. Stick the Dob tube and base in the bed and make sure they are safe and secure. Dont hit any potholes in the road at 50 M/P/H.

Alright. I was wondering if vertical or horizontal would be best (for the tube, not the children), I just don't wanna screw up my precious collimation too horribly  :cool:.

I'd go with horizontal for the tube and wrapped in blankets etc. 

Love your signature.............

Well I figured the website calls me 'advanced' now so I needed to add some spice to my profile. 

Good info, thanks. Knowing my dad he would just shove everyone in the bed like you mentioned, with me probably off the tow hitch. Without even having a telescope up front!

Don't listen to them Pev's, drag it along the road, it'll survive. Might need a touch of collimation when you get there, but that"s all.

Trust me.

I'm guessing I duck tape the base to the hood of the truck then right so I can keep an eye on it while I drive? 

Travelling with a truck-bed full of "family types" is a horrible idea.  Take two vehicles.

From your signature, I assume you're a US citizen.  If not, CHIP will leave you alone, as they've been instructed to stay clear of ticketing illegals in LA.

Travelling with a truck-bed full of "family types" is a horrible idea.  Take two vehicles.

From your signature, I assume you're a US citizen.  If not, CHIP will leave you alone, as they've been instructed to stay clear of ticketing illegals in LA.

Lol. We fit them all in the truck and safely had the telescope in the back. Was a good night, my scope got many compliments! 

Archived