Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tips on using my DIY webcam

I recently modified a really cheap webcam as a bit of an introductory to AP, but I've had one major issue - I can't find anything!

Now that I've gotten over the frustration of that first night, I don't think the sensor alignment cant be that bad if I was able to see Saturn for a short period. Basically, the problems I have, in order of frustration, are...

1. Aligning the object in the view
  2. Imaging settings (Gain, brightness, etc)
  3. Focusing
  4. More focusing
  5. Tracking (manual only)

I've done some reading on the imaging settings and I'll try setting the gain at around 75% to locate Saturn, then lower it when capturing. I've downloaded and made a Bahtinov mask to help in focusing. And I've also got some bits and pieces on order to make an fine adjustment motor for the focuser, but does anyone have any other hints, particularly in getting Saturn to appear on my monitor?

Wayne

What I do to find the object is to find it with an EP, then put it miles out of focus so that it is a really big circle. Then switch to webcams and it should be a lot easier to find as it's quite big.

Yep, I do the same. Are you using SharpCap to capture? I start with my 24mm EP, then to the 8mm and have it out of focus so the ring nearly fills the view so I know it's centred. Others use a reticule EP. Then I add the webcam and push the gain and exposure up (not too much on the latter as I find SharpCap freezes (at least with my ASI cam!) then I can usually see the donut. It's very faint so I move the focusing (In? Out? I can't remember!) until I see something. Sometimes putting in the webcam alters the focusing train a little. It's a pain but you get used to it with a bit of a fiddle! When you've focused, mark the focusing tube with a fine marker pen so you can get close to focus next time without any hassle. Good luck!

Alexxx

Thanks. I'll give that a go when I can get out again.

Naturally i had a perfect night tonight and a good one tomorrow but I've got a couple late nights and early morning at work :(

Archived