Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moving to New Zealand - Advice sought!

Right so after a brief foray into astrophotography I'm up sticks and off to New Zealand in September. Work opportunity predominantly but I'm sure the stargazing won't be harmed.

Few questions, thus:

1) anyone shipped there beloved set-up half way around the world? Ideas on packing, insurance, shipping companies, etc. would be welcomed.

2) having just (about) figured out polar alignment and basic set-up of my gear what do I need to relearn and can anyone suggest good southern hemisphere reading?

3) what am I going to see?!

4) any good astronomy online or with shop retailers near Wellington, NZ?

Any other general observations/comments/suggestions welcomed

I had my FSQ 106 shipped from NZ when i bought it and had no issues. An EQ6 is going to be a heavy and volumetrically large beast to ship though, probably cheaper overall to flog them in the UK and buy new kit over there.

Out there a good few years back, at that time if you took the cable car to the top of the hill there was a planetarium up at the top. Suspect that there would be a) worth a visit and B) somewhere to ask a few questions.

Polar alignment, suspect going to be somewhat different, maybe have to drift align down there.

What are you going th see - a heck of a lot.

General Org: http://rasnz.org.nz/rasnz/affiliated-societies-details

WAS: http://www.was.org.nz/

1) shipped my NEQ6 and SW200p no problems at all, just left them in their original cartons and put on the container. dependant on your visa requirements will determine if you will have to pay customs duty on the equipment you bring over. 

2) No pole star over here so alignment can be tricky, drift aligning is a very accurate way and I achieve this with my laptop and software called Back Yard EOS, takes about 10-20 mins to nail it depending how well I first set scope up.

3) I can not answer what you will see as don't live in Wellington and not sure of light pollution there but where I am in Huntly, mmm, mmm, mmm. Plenty and more to see. You wont see the whirlpool, pinwheel and probably not Andromeda so get them while you can. 

4) Very poor choice and vey expensive here so bring all that you can, you will only regret it if you part with stuff before leaving. There are some fantastic astrophotographers here in New Zealand or maybe its that the sky's are so good.

Join a society when you arrive and join this site https://www.facebook.com/groups/5889909863/  

Thanks for the pointers so far.  I had no idea about import duty but luckily looks like it'll not be payable given my visa.  Looked up a few clubs over there already and given we're likely to be sending a container of stuff I'm sure 'll fit in the astro gear. Other thoughts welcomed.

Thanks again

Matt

Archived