Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which one in the long run: 100mm or 80mm refractor

I am trimming my scope collection to fund eyepieces and have a difficult choice.

I have 2 refractors: a skywatcher 100mm f/5 and Revelation 80mm (f/5.6). I mainly use them for photography (piggybacked on a 10" LX200). Not being an expert, I can't really tell which one is better and there is precious little information on the Revelation on the Web (although it is similar to the Williams Optics 80mm short tube).

I am more inclined to keep the 100mm based on astronomy's rule #1: bigger is better, but I am concerned that the heavier scope will wear out my mount's gears.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions?

If you want to try and dig some more info up about the Revelation, they were also sold as Orion Express, Antares Sentinel, William Optics ZS80.

If you are mainly using it for photography then I'd keep the Rev 80, a 80mm f6 will show a lot less false colour than a 100mm f5.

Archived