NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Synscan Firmware update help. Garghhhhh

bomberbaz

Nightmare city. I have started the update on my handset and it keeps failing. The furthest it has got is 10.2% then a message flashes up with " Firmware update failed. Cycle power to Synscan and try again.

Just so you know I do not have a seperate power supply for the handset so I am using the power from the system via the com port, could this be the problem.

I am using a USB converter for the RG 232 port socket suplied with scope also although this appears to be working ok.

Any help at all would be extremely welcome.

Oh and if it is a seperate power supply to the handset I need, what is the output needed.

TIA

Steve

Does that mean you are powering the handset frim the computer or the mount? I'm confused.

Surely the same power lead which plugs into the mount will plug into the handset as a stand alone unit. Voltage requirements is the same as for the mount, 11-16v i think (but chceck). I've got something which chucks out 12v with the right polarity which fits - think it was used to charge a drill or something, but does the trick.

Just make sure you get the voltage and polarity correct.

Have you tried slowing down the transfer rate to "lo" as per theanuals guidance? Worth a shot.

James

Tried using power direct to handset James but its still not working, also tried changing update speed too. . I will give it a go using laptop.

May well be the pc at fault, i will let you know

If you get in % numbers, then you are well and truly on the home straight.

I suspect it wouldn't even start, but just check you are using the correct version of the loader and correct update.

James

Try powering by the mount. Set up the mount normally with the handset plugged into the mount then plug the pc lead into the handset. Ive done it this way 3 times and had no problems

If you get in % numbers, then you are well and truly on the home straight.

I suspect it wouldn't even start, but just check you are using the correct version of the loader and correct update.

James

Now the handset has part been done the thing wont start at all. Tried the software from SW website dated march 15, V3 synscan update. 

Try powering by the mount. Set up the mount normally with the handset plugged into the mount then plug the pc lead into the handset. Ive done it this way 3 times and had no problems

Tried this too. No idea whats up. Tried a diferent PC too but to no avail. Issue is either the cable or handset I am thinking. Not happy bunny atm  :huh:

Looking online, it seems if the handset has frozen part way through a firmware update, the handset won't subsequently work... But you should still be able to go back to the start and try the firmware update again.

If all else fails i have a spare handset at home you could borrow whilst trying to get this resolved.

James

Hi Steve,

did you already upgrade the firmware int the past, or is this the first time you are trying? Which version did your handset came with originally? Try and upgrade to the original firmware version and check if it will complete the upgrade.

Good luck!

Nico

ok so I have watched vidos online, tried different versions, shouted at the handset, pleased and cried but it still refuses to update  :angry5:  :angry4:  :angry5: I cannot find earlier versions online earlier than 2014 anywhere so I am at a loss as to correcting this matter myself.

I am going to contact a supplier regarding this but in the meantime, james you have a message  :grin:

Steve

I don't think I will be buying a skywatcher SynScan if simply updating the official firmware bricks the device :)

Could it be an issue of the USB - RS232 converter?

Is the firmware copied across to the device prior to updating or is it streamed over USB during the update?

You could always contact http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/ the official SkyWatcher distributor in the UK.

problem fixed men, the issue is the RJ 232 cale, don't buy a cheap one. I tried 3 and the third one from startech did it first time no issues. The problem was the cable. One for the note book methinks.

Steve

problem fixed men, the issue is the RJ 232 cale, don't buy a cheap one. I tried 3 and the third one from startech did it first time no issues. The problem was the cable. One for the note book methinks.

Steve

So it streams the firmware over the wire as it updates rather then send once then update?

Great news that it is solved. My first usb-serial canle off ebay was awful and it wouldn't even connect the laptop and handset so you managed to get further Along than me. Glad it's sorted :)

Archived