Equipment Checklist

I'm looking to get into AP, but the list of equipment is extensive! (and expensive!)

The items on my list so far:

Raw necessities:

• Making Every Photon Count
  • HEQ5 Mount (Syntrek, or Synscan now that the Syntrek appears to be being discontinued - though perhaps this is just on FLO)
  • Skywatcher 80ED Pro
  • Some sort of CCD camera - likely mono (personally I think the Atiks look amazing, but the precise model will be decided on after a lot of research and reading Making Every Photon Count!)
  • Power supply?
  • Adaptors/connections from the telescope to the camera (I am vaguely aware of the concept of back-focus and needing spacers to get this right, hoping to know more after reading the book)

Additional:

• A guide camera (either autoguider, or a guide camera for use through the finderscope)
  • A set of filters (RGB(L) and/or narrowband)
  • A filter wheel
  • Cabling (guiding, power supply)
  • The ED80 focal reducer

And now the question: Is there any major component that I have forgotten/am not aware of, and should budget for?

Many thanks,

Ross

I'd also say, get the basics under your belt first and just do unguided images without a reducer/flattener with an old DSLR and move on to narrow band, guiding and CCD imaging in time.

Mount, dslr, dew control; that's all you need to start with I think.

James

Laptop! And if you go Syntrek with the mount, you might want to think about the HITECASTRO cables to connect the mount to the Laptop and EQMOD via ASCOM - check out the links on FLO on the mount page - they will link to the cables when ordering the mount as well. If you like the look of the HEQ5 Syntrek, grab one before they go, when I was looking everywhere said they were out of stock, so these may well be the last ones.

And, although I am no expert, starting out with a DSLR unguided, is probably a good way in (it's how I started...and am still learning!). Get used to the basics and then move on to CCD/Filters in time - maybe save some of the money from the camera/filters and go for a higher spec mount that will last you longer?

Thermals will also come in handy.

Software-wose, I use APT for setting up imaging runs which is worth a look, Deep Sky Stacker for stacking images and GIMP for processing - which is a nice, free alternative if you don't have photoshop!

Finally, you'll probably need to buy a bigger wallet.... if you can still afford one...

What is the advantage of having a larger chip DSLR, over a CCD? (aside from cost and the ability to use the DSLR elsewhere)

The exact equipment I buy will be dependent on budget and availability at the time - but I'll make sure to consider alternate mounts etc, thanks.

Dew. I've never, ever had a problem with dew (perhaps that isn't something which affects dobs?) - but again I'll make sure to research and consider it.

Laptop is sorted! As is some of the relevant software (GIMP, Stellarium, Registax) but more to be downloaded when the time comes...

I was definitely thinking of starting unguided, without the reducer, or filters - i.e. with only the equipment in the upper half of the list, and then adding the stuff on the lower half when the budget allows. I am concerned about buying something like a DSLR, which, though cheaper than a CCD, I could get bored of within a year and get the itch to upgrade at which point I'll end up spending the extra money anyway. Purchasing a mono CCD straight away, if possible, seems quite a future proof investment to me? 

I guess if you don't have a DSLR already, and you aren't bothered about having one for everyday photography, then a CCD is perhaps the way to go. You could keep the cost down and go for a colour one I guess? Again, I know little about them at the moment as that is something in my future, but I think they resale well, so going with a colour one first off will get you a CCD but a slightly less steep learning curve than will separate filters.

The Sensor size relates to the Field of View you will get with the set-up. With my scope I can easily get the whole of Andromeda in the FOV, with a smaller CCD sensor I would only get a portion of it. Check out the FOV calculator at Sky at Night - http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/field-view-calculator - that will give you an idea with a variety of scopes and cameras.

Bigger chip will mean you'll be able to image a bigger patch of sky.

Use this website:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Enter the chosen scope, make sure you are in imaging mode, then enter a likely ccd you could afford, eg atik 314. Then pick a messier object, say m42. Look at how much field of view you get; note down the numbers of degrees/arcminutes for x and y. Then change the camera to say a canon 11000d, select m42 again and look at the difference.

For unguided subs, you won't be getting the full potential of a cooled ccd, as you'll be limited to 60-180 seconds i guess, and for subs of that duration, i'm not sure you'd notice a massive difference in noise etc between the dslr and the ccd (ok, i might be over egging that), but you will have many more targets you could go for. And the dslr could easily be used for day time photography, and for taking star trails with, and probably a full moon shot with an ed80.

I think your plan of reading a lot more first is very wise; there are plenty of useful resources free online as well as numerous books including the one you mention and others, like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1849073147/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1431895269&sr=8-1π=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Astrophotography+Thompson&dpPl=1&dpID=51tVDK0j1xL&ref=plSrch

Which can be purchased for £7 through he amazon market place.

James

No, no DSLR, I already have a bridge type camera, so I wouldn't have any use for a DSLR outside of AP. My understanding is that you also need to consider the speed, mono will work faster because there is no Bayer matrix limiting the amount of light that reaches each pixel. Under UK skies, you need all the speed you can get (perhaps making a slow scope like the ED80 a bit dangerous without the reducer - but surely possible!). The advantage of a colour CCD is that you get a full image immediately, and never start a set only to be interrupted and miss some of the spectrum. But I think you're right about the resale value so a possibility to consider.

I don't know much about sensor size, focal length etc and the effect on FOV, hoping to learn a lot from the Making Every Photon Count book (and others - thanks for the link!)

It seems I've got the broadest elements right though?, regardless of the specifics, mount+OTA+camera (of some sort) + dew prevention.

Thanks,

Ross

Yeah, you are along the right lines.

The bayer matrix doesn't slow image acquisition down per se, unless going for a target which is rich in hydrogen alpha (as an unmodified dslr only allows say 20-30% of Ha through to the sensor compared to a modified dslr or a ccd), but what the bayer matrix does (in both dslr cameras and one shot colour ccd camers) is to reduce the resolution of the image, as only one pixel in four will probably be "stimulated" (oh err mrs) as the colour filters of the bayer matrix will block the others being stimulated, depending on the wavelength of light...

I'm not good at explaining this stuff, sorry. Get a book :)

James

Marky, yes the thompson book is good. And at only £7 it isn't going to break the bank. I got a copy for my astro society's library and several people want to borrow it now.

I find the trouble is that most books on astrophotography try to please both the absolute beginners and touch on more advanced topics. I found this with every photon counts - i only read it after i'd already several other books and as such i felt i didn't learn a great deal from it, and did wonder what all the fuss was about (sorry steve). Though if this was the first book you really read on the topic, then yes it would seem like you'd been shown the light :)

The first book i read and which i still rave about is by michael covington:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0521700817/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1431896217&sr=8-2π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=Michael+covington

Whilst it has dslr in the title, it also contains loads of useful stuff about the night sky in general, and touches on non-dslr imaging too. But it is reasonably pricey, even second hand. You are welcome to borrow it if you want, i can post it to you.

James

Other books i've read (or are reading);

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1937538435/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1431896664&sr=8-1π=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=astrophotography&dpPl=1&dpID=41YU43uk7ML&ref=plSrch

As you say, more detailed in places, but i've enjoyed dipping into it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0521627400/ref=mp_s_a_1_21?qid=1431896754&sr=8-21π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=astrophotography&dpPl=1&dpID=51baR-0-jNL&ref=plSrch

Another covington book, again trying to please a mixed readership, and a bit dated now but still a good book at explaining some of the basics.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0540083127/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?qid=1431896846&sr=8-17π=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=astrophotography&dpPl=1&dpID=41128VCYCQL&ref=plSrch

Another dated book, being published 13 years ago and since then dslr and ccd technology has taken off, but at 14p on marketplace it is an easy read and will teach the novice lots.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1484143477/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1431896939&sr=8-5π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=astrophotography&dpPl=1&dpID=51dR6CXOP%2BL&ref=plSrch

A more recent book; again covering the basics and predominantly catering for the DSO imager. I don't find the text very fluent, so over all i've found it hard going to read, but the content seems sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1107619602/ref=pd_aw_sim_b_32?refRID=0G0SVHCZ1F09W9FX4RYZ

Professor Morison came to talk to our astronomy society earlier this month, and as a result the librarian has purchased a copy for our library out of her own pocket (cheap off marketplace again); she wants me to look over it and write a review for our Journal, so watch this space on that one :)

James

Very generous of you James. The way my life is at the moment, I'm taking ages to read anything, so wouldn't want to take it away from you, although I appreciate the offer. Will have a look at the Thompson book and save up for the other in the next month or two. Very kind to offer though!

For £200 more, you could buy a second hand AZEQ6 rather than a brand new HEQ5.

My last EQ6 only cost £200, it was one of the older black models which I have since upgraded to GOTO.

For AP though, an EQ6 is a sound choice as ultimately it will take a much larger scope. When starting out in AP the mount must take priority- everything hinges on the quality of the mount's stability and tracking.

If you are on a tight budget I'd consider spending the CCD money on a good mount to start with. Your initial camera could be a £100 second hand DSLR which are fairly easily self modified for AP. You can then get to grips with the basics whilst saving for a nice CCD camera.

Of course if money is no object then go straight for CCD!

I remembered in bed another good author. Robert reeves. I first got his widefield astrophotography book; it is mostly concerned with film photography, but the techniques and descriptions are the same and it is a great book - you used to be able to find a PDF version of it online for free, though i managed to find a second hand copy on the oxfam online shop website for next to nothing :) he has also written a book on webcam imaging which again is dated, but an excellent book. I see on amazon he has a digital camera book too but not seen that before.

James

I find the trouble is that most books on astrophotography try to please both the absolute beginners and touch on more advanced topics. I found this with every photon counts - i only read it after i'd already several other books and as such i felt i didn't learn a great deal from it, and did wonder what all the fuss was about (sorry steve). Though if this was the first book you really read on the topic, then yes it would seem like you'd been shown the light :)

No need to apologise - my book is aimed squarely at the beginner starting out from scratch so I can see that it may not appeal to a reader who has read several other books on the same the subject and, therefore, already has a grasp of the basic issues to be overcome.

Archived