NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to look for in a laptop?

I will be taking a laptop to the field with me. I was wondering what to look for in a laptop for imaging purposes? I will be doing solar (HAlpha) and lunar imaging to start with. I will also be using an electronic focuser and probably the DMK41. So do I need a certain screen resolution? Since the CCD takes dozens of images per second I would imagine there is also a question of memory capability and processing speed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Charles

My opinion, something on the cheap side with as many USB ports as you can find. Also one you can buy parts for and repair yourself. I've replaced the screen and the top plate on my Dell from unfortunate night time mishaps but since the parts were available on Amazon it wasn't such a disaster in the end. Also consider the OS and the software you plan on using.

Agree with above regarding USB ports, preferably some USB3 and some USB2 ports.

For image acquisition you don't need anything too serious but for plate solving and some in-the-field processing you can really do with something with a bit of grunt.

Battery life is usually proportional to grunt,it may or may not be an issue depending on your power source.

One more thing, look for a 12v charger that will draw from your battery supply, assuming that's how you power the rig. Using inverters to go from 12v DC to AC line voltage then back to DC is inefficient and wastes power as heat in the conversion. The 12v DC supply I found was perfect for this application plus whenever the family goes on a road trip I can power the laptop in the car.

Dual (Multiple) CPUs? Quite common now! I found, even my single CPU Notebook,

was capable of controlling my mount, focusser etc. But if you want more *total* CPU

power, it seems the best (cheapest) way. The "fastest" machine may not be best? ;) 

I noted, the justly popular, "TeamViewer" remote access, hogged one CPU by itself.

Idem imaging. Perhaps, if I'd had an extra CPU or two, things would be different...

I use a Dell 15 Inspiron 3000 with a Pentium 1.9Ghz dual core w/ Win7, A real budget box.  It has done everything I need it to. I will even run Pixinsight while the capture software is running to stretch and drill down on subs to see their quality with no real performance issues. I am running with 8Gig of RAM which was an upgrade. When I cracked the screen after it slipped from an unzipped backpack I bought a 42$ replacement screen and swapped it out myself in 10 minutes. I was even able to change it to the Matte finish vs the factory installed glossy, which I did not like at night as it would glare any small red LED right back at me. The integrated Intel graphics hasn't hindered me either.  I will say that I use my Core2Quad dual monitor windows desktop (mainly for Photoshop) and my Dual Xeon Ubuntu workstation (Pixinsight) for the real processing workload. I have to add that the Ubuntu Linux powered by 16 hyprethreaded cores is an absolute Pixinsight processing monster.  99.9% uptime reliability and it calibrates, registers and integrates a stack of LRGB in short order. Even if it is a 7 year old it box, if you are a PI person look for  an old Dell Precision workstation online for about a hundred bucks and install the free Ubuntu 14,  it will make your PI time enjoyable.  

Archived