Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam couldnt get focus.

After a 2 hour session in the garden this evening putting my new 200 Dob to the test, Ive found a problem with my setup.

I have a Microsoft Live cam HD with my adapter on etc but on my Dob the focuser wont go in far enough to gain focus.

If I put my barlow on then I can but without it I cant.

So question is can I get a shorter 2" converter ?  OR, can you by 2" adapters for webcams rather than the 1.25 ?

Apart from my imaging issues I was able to see Jupiter in all its glory.  Tracking is an issue with a dob but im sure Ill get the hang of it.

Also slitting Albireo was also a first !!  Yey Me !

But the highlight of the evenings viewing (I even woke up the wife and kid) was Saturn.  WOW.  at 10 degrees it was very fuzzy but I saw the rings etc.

SOOOOOO  Happy I bough a 200 Dob....

In essence you need to be able to get the sensor of the camera nearer to the primary mirror. It is unlikely just changing adapters at the eye piece end of things will help. The three common solutions, in ascending combined prive and hassle order for you are:

- use your Barlow which effectively bring the sensor nearer the primary

- bring the mirror up the tube an inch or two

- buy and install a low profile focusser

James

I would go check out adaptors, very few people seem to report problems getting a webcam to the focal plane, although for planets you will likely need a barlow as the focal length can be "increased" by the use of one.

Post is a bit ambiguous on what you have/want

"So question is can I get a shorter 2" converter ?  OR, can you by 2" adapters for webcams rather than the 1.25 ?"

First bit says you have a 2" adaptor and want a shorter one, second says you have a 1.25" adaptor and are asking about a 2" one.

What do you want the webcam for ?

Just if the webcam is in then you cannot look through the eyepiece to locate, centre or track anything.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a 2" focuser with an adapter to 1.25"

The adapter is 1.5" long.

Question is, can I get a shorter one or can I get a nossel for my Web Cam that is 2" rather than 1.25"

The adaptor from 2" to 1.25" normally slides right into the focuser, I have two and they are both add about 15mm once inserted.

A 2" nose for the webcam should be easy enough, just get some 2" pipe and stick it on ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived