Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading imaging setup from DSLR to CCD

de0s

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on your recommendations I decided to skip to focuser upgrade. So after reading a bit online I managed to "tune" the stock ED80 focuser and now it's holding pretty well my Canon 500D + TRF-2008 :)

Hopefully next week I'll order the 460ex and I'll see by that time what to do about the filterwheel (one thing is pretty much decided: based on your feedback I'll go with the 1.25" filters)

In the end I bit the bullet and yesterday I ordered the new gear from FLO. I increase the budget a little bit :D and also got the EFW2 with the 1.25 filters.

Thanks to all for your advices.

Clear skies,

Andrei

In the end I bit the bullet and yesterday I ordered the new gear from FLO. I increase the budget a little bit :D and also got the EFW2 with the 1.25 filters.

Thanks to all for your advices.

Clear skies,

Andrei

This is a really great camera. You'll be amazed by the sensitivity and low noise. I've only used visiting ones but they have always been a treat.

Olly

PS As for budgets, they are like world records - they are just there to be broken...

• 2 weeks later...

So, beginning of last week I got the package from FLO. With this occasion I want to thank Martin; it was my first experience with FLO but for sure it won't be the last :)

One think I was not so happy with is that I think they've included a big pack of UK clouds as well

post-42705-0-98751300-1433174312_thumb.j

Based on your recommendations I decided to skip to focuser upgrade. So after reading a bit online I managed to "tune" the stock ED80 focuser and now it's holding pretty well my Canon 500D + TRF-2008 :)

Hopefully next week I'll order the 460ex and I'll see by that time what to do about the filterwheel (one thing is pretty much decided: based on your feedback I'll go with the 1.25" filters)

I also have the stock focuser. Could you please expand on what you mean by 'tuning' it ? :)

Hi Vox,

I was looking for the instructions I used but I don't seem to find them anymore. However, at the link below is the same thing explained for a regular Synta/Skywatcher focuser (the one without 1:10 reduction):

http://astronomytsv.org.au/index.php/resources/articles/tech-tips/79-tuning-up-a-synta-crayford-focuser

Clear skies,

Andrei

Archived