Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

newer skywatcher polar scope reticle.

Hello! Does any body have any experience using the newer polar scope from skywatcher? I got mine last week and its nothing like what I see on the tutorials and what not, I believe it works for both northern and southern hemisphere.

I have attached a photo of said reticle.

Thanks in advance.

post-41658-0-04906200-1431291881_thumb.j

I suspect if you are in the northern hemisphere;

Rotate the RA axis until 0 is at the very top, then put Polaris inbetween the lines at the appropriate time position according to where it is on it's journey around the NCO. Looks brilliant.

James

Aligning the reticle with the RA axis is a tedious and time consuming job, but a worthwhile one. Best done in daylight on a very distant terrestrial object if possible and whilst seated. Put aside an hour or more to do it and take your time; you'll get very close several times then mess it up again.

James

For some reason when I turn in RA and get to the 180 turn my mount moves very slightly, so I have to start over. It is very frustrating. I think its the cheap grease they use as the movement is nice and smooth until I do the 180 flip and then the mount sticks.

It's not uncommon, in my experience, that even when the reticle is perfectly centred that rotating the RA results in some slight movement of the cross hairs. I think this is because the RA axis machining is not perfect.

When you talk about the RA sticking, it probably isn't grease, it is probably again poor machining of a perfect circle but also when adjusting for backlash it is possible to cause this problem when it sticks at one part in the full 360 degree rotation.

James

I only have the eq3-2 so not top end but it is by far better than my previous eq2, that thing wobbled more than jelly aha I have it pretty much spot on just want it that little bit better, but I know it will never be perfect as that is impossible.

The new mount, motor and polar scope has upped my exposure time from 10 seconds to 1 minute so I can't complain.

Archived