NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to tie-off cables

Over a few hours of imaging last night, I've found I have a small but consistent amount of drift that doesn't align with either RA or Dec movement. It's closer to RA, but not parallel.

The main thing I did differently -- in response to some flexure problems that cropped up a few nights before -- was to try to tie-off the camera's USB and fan power cables. I suspect the mount may not have been quite level as well, but the cable arrangement was the biggest change.

I had tied them off to one end of the plate that the telescope rings attach to and suspect that somehow -- while that seemed to eliminate the flexure -- it threw off the tracking movement.

The scope is a basic 6" f/5 reflector on a Celestron AVX EQ mount. The camera is a basic Orion StarShoot CCD.

Any tips on where/how should I tie-off the camera cables so as not to impede tracking? A picture or two of a recommended setup would be helpful as well.

Thanks for any help -- Joel.

Generally any trailing cables should be supported or tied off to relieve any strain on the camera or scope.

My usual / simple proceedure on a non permanent set-up is to loop any hanging cables over the focuser knobs.

Archived