Better Starfinder for Celestron Nexstar 130slt

Hi all,

I bought my son a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT which he loves but we find that the stock Starfinder is impossible to align ... we adjusted it 50 different ways and can't get it in sync with the actual telescope.

I've researched to see if there are better units, looks like the Rigel Quik finder is the way to go ... does anyone have an experienced opinion they could share?

Many thanks,

David

Unforunately finders seem not guaranteed to fit the scope they are supplied on, and simply cannot be adjuste sufficently.

Usually here people pad one end or the other a bit to get it in range.

Also there are alternative bases to use, FLO here advertise a universal base as I reall but that is no use to you, Ontario is a long way off.

You could check Canadian retailers for similar.

As to which way to go difficult to say, finders seem to be an item that you get on with or do not.

I get on fine with a red dot finder, but cannot use a telrad, others are the other way round.

Rigel Quikfinders are great. They are light and have a small footprint so will sit on most scope tubes. They come with 2 bases which fix using strong double sided tape. I've used one on my dobsonians for years and they work really well. They project 2 illuminated circles against the sky, one is half a degree in diameter and the other 2 degrees.

The Telrad is the other option but, excellent though it is, it's footprint is quite a bit larger on the scope which can make it look a little awkward on smaller scope tubes.

Also have you tried a RACI?? (Right Angle Correct Image) finder its easier to use and saves your back. If you are not far from Toronto, Khan's will have one and all the others mentioned above. They are on Dufferin (800) 580 7160... (spent a lot of time in Toronto!!)

Hi all,

I bought my son a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT which he loves but we find that the stock Starfinder is impossible to align ... we adjusted it 50 different ways and can't get it in sync with the actual telescope.

I've researched to see if there are better units, looks like the Rigel Quik finder is the way to go ... does anyone have an experienced opinion they could share?

Many thanks,

David

Hello David

The Rigel Quick finder is a great piece of kit and should very well on your telescope for your son and yourself. As John mentioned  in Post number 3, it comes with 2 bases and double sided tape for attaching to your scope.  It maybe easier if you could remove the  stock fitted finder if possible. I use a Rigel finder on both my 9,25" sct and my 10" dob.

Best regards, Hadyn - Isle of Man

Did anyone else initially think the same as I did?

Why is David Hinds asking a question about a Celestron? :eek: :eek:

For the OP David Hinds is the importer and distributor of Celestron scopes and accessories here in the UK. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Archived