NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with Synscan coordinates

Hi Guys

can any one help with the synscan location for Wattisham Suffolk UK  as I am not sure what's wrong when setting up my 2 star alignment I us Vega and Spica I move to Vega my self then for the star to its way way off ??  

I would have hoped that most astronomers could multiply decimals by 60?

Many new astronomers who are not used to goto mounts get confused as to why when they try to input coordinates into a handset don't understand why numbers such as 000 99 W 52 76 N  are not accepted by the handset. The Synscan handset and probably all the other work in mapping units (degrees and minutes) not the decimal version found on GPS  equipment.

Those coordinates won't work, Synscan handsets require the coordinates in degrees and minutes. The correct format for the coordinates is 000 55 E  52 07 N.

Is this an EQ mount or AZ ?

Guys thanks so much,

Like most other newbies I think I cocked up the hole synscan AZ thing I could  manage to 1star align but never two think this was due to mix up with the synscan , hoping for clear skys tonight to try and hit it spot on this time thanks again cheers  

in 2 hrs to 3hrs I learnt that skywatchers manual are pants so are there battery packs and this is way harder than it looks !!!

Many new astronomers who are not used to goto mounts get confused as to why when they try to input coordinates into a handset don't understand why numbers such as 000 99 W 52 76 N  are not accepted by the handset. The Synscan handset and probably all the other work in mapping units (degrees and minutes) not the decimal version found on GPS  equipment.

RTFM????

Gents

please help if you can ?

1) Do I need to polar align the 127 skywatcher goto az before I 2 star align?  

2) the second star in 2 star alignment is always way off ie out of view in 25m eyepiece to goto sort of heads in the right place but know when near then the handset (v 3.09) tells me manually move to scope but it does not, it just lets esc or enter to say yes to alignment when I know its not

sorry if these seam like newbie questions !!

thanks    

The manual says no particular home position for the "Full Feature" mode, however for the "Easy Tracking" itr say to have the mount base level and the scope OTA level and pointing to True North.

I suggest that you therefore level and North it as per the Easy Tracking  and start from there no matter what you do.

It is easier and consistant.

Following from earlier did you enter the Long and Lat (in that order).

Check that the long is 000 57 East - basically check the leading zero's are correct - that seems easy to get wrong.

Where you are 001  00 East is likely adaquate.

DST is Yes or On - whichever it asks for.

When you set to location did you set the timezone, something like UTC 0 or 0 or 00.

Just read a bit more: Manual I have indicates that you set it to the Home position then power on, in effect at power on the scope is Level and North.

Today date is:  04/24/2015  However if it takes 24 as the month then it needs it's marbles looking at.

Gents

please help if you can ?

1) Do I need to polar align the 127 skywatcher goto az before I 2 star align?  

2) the second star in 2 star alignment is always way off ie out of view in 25m eyepiece to goto sort of heads in the right place but know when near then the handset (v 3.09) tells me manually move to scope but it does not, it just lets esc or enter to say yes to alignment when I know its not

sorry if these seam like newbie questions !!

thanks    

The AZ mount doesn't need to be polar aligned, just use a spirit level on the tray to ensure the mount is level.

After you have successfully aligned the first star the handset will ask you to choose the 2nd star to align with. Select a known star from the list and press enter, the mount will now slew to the approximate position of the star using the date / time / location info provided. It won't be exactly on target, just somewhere near. Use the directional keys to centre the star in the eyepiece , adjust the slew rate to 5 or 6 to help slew the mount at a reasonable rate. Once the 2nd star is centred in the eyepice press enter to complete the alignment process.

The AZ mount doesn't need to be polar aligned, just use a spirit level on the tray to ensure the mount is level.

After you have successfully aligned the first star the handset will ask you to choose the 2nd star to align with. Select a known star from the list and press enter, the mount will now slew to the approximate position of the star using the date / time / location info provided. It won't be exactly on target, just somewhere near. Use the directional keys to centre the star in the eyepiece , adjust the slew rate to 5 or 6 to help slew the mount at a reasonable rate. Once the 2nd star is centred in the eyepice press enter to complete the alignment process.

peter

thanks for the info I think iam ok with most of that, where I come unstick is the 2nd start alignment the scope mores round but I cant centre the 2nd star the handset says use the arrow keys but the scope does not ??

peter

thanks for the info I think iam ok with most of that, where I come unstick is the 2nd start alignment the scope mores round but I cant centre the 2nd star the handset says use the arrow keys but the scope does not ??

You probably have the slew rate set to the minimum. Press button 2 and then 5 or 6 to set a higher slew rate. The maximum slew rate is set by pressing button 9.

Archived