SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using an ST80 as a guidescope?

Hello fellow amateurs  

I have two telescopes - a skywatcher st80 and a skyliner 8" dobsonian. At the minute the dob gets more use than my refractor so I want to use the st80 as a finderscope instead of it gathering dust. Seems a bit of a waste as its a very good telescope. I have seen dovetail bars and ring sets on the internet but I don't want to go and buy something which doesn't fit as I have read that not all will fir an st80. I also see that some of them are pretty expensive - like £100 or so. Does anyone out there have any advice on how get them properly attached and well lined up? Preferably in a way that doesn't break the bank! I know a lot of people do use them as finderscopes and I would appreciate some advice.

Clear skies 

Will     

Your post says guidescope but then you seem to mean finderscope. A guidescope doesn't need precise alignment but a finderscope does.

Not dead easy or cheap using proprietory kit. Guidescope tube rings and guide scope adjusters are quite costly and tube rings struggle slightly because the body of the ST80 is very short. I've used one as a big Dob finder but I made up a shimmed holder which allowed me to get it reasonably aligned. To be cost effective I think it needs to be a DIY job.

Olly

Archived