Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photographing Saturn

Hi,

I have been trying to photograph Saturn without any luck (this is my very first astophotography project), maybe someone can help...?

I am using a William Optics Megrez 72mm refractor (which has a focal length of 430mm), with a 3x Barlow T-Connector into my Nikon D40x DSLR.

These images are as good as I can get...

5038_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Now, I understand that this isn't the best scope for planatary viewing but I would hope to be able to at least photograph the planatery disk even if not the rings.

If I use a 14mm eyepiece with the 3x Barlow (I think this makes 93x magnification, with this scope) I have found that this is the lowest magnification I can use and I can just make out the rings visually (albeit very small), but only briefly as it seems to "wobble" in and out of focus as I move my eye...

I have some known issues: 1. I am using a photographic tripod (I haven't invested in a good mount yet) and 2. I am central to an average size town, so there is light pollution and all the rest of it. I use an outside decking for viewing it's pretty dark, fairly sheltered but not ideal.

So, getting a better mount and a darker location I assume will help, but can anyone give me some advice about how to improve these photogrpahs - just to a point where Saturn is recognisable?

Thanks! :(

I would have thought you should get a very good image from that scope. The wobbling is from the atmosphere most likely. For you tripod you can steady it by hanging a sandbag from the middle or another heavy thing. Is it a wooden deck you are on? if so that won't help because it's not the most stable surface. Focusing a DSLR can be quite tricky through the scope but it's worth persevering. If you can secure the mount a bit more and find a better surface to put it on I think you'll find it easier to focus which will then improve you image. Good luck! :(

Sam

I have tried weighting the tripod legs - but the tripod "head" struggles with the weight of the scope, so there is some play there. I use an IR remote to actvate the camera shutter. I am on a hard surface - it's not actually decking, it's basically an entrance that is also the roof of the floor below.

Yes focusing is very hard with the DSLR attached, the actual focuser on the scope is excellent, I have tried "bracketing", so focusing as accurately as I can then focusing too long and then again too short just incase I am gettgin it wrong, but with no improvement.

I find that the image is small with the eyepiece and the Barlow, so removing the eyepiece and attaching the camera I guess that I lose magnification, I wonder if Saturn is even big enough for the the camera to resolve with this set up?

Thanks for the advice...

It certainly is! depends what kind it is and if it's easy to remove the lens without breaking it - most of them just screw out. Webcams are the probably the best way of doing planetary imaging.

If the lens doesn't come out you can try using it through an eyepiece - just have to find a way of securing it. When I first started this I attached my webcam to a 25mm eyepiece with some rubber bands around the focuser - very dodgy setup, but it worked.

Sam

Not a bad effort at all Mikey! :( you've got the right idea and there's quite a bit of detail coming through. Does the lens for your webcam come out easily? Most of them just screw out but some are quite tricky. If it just screws out you could get a film canister to attach to the webcam so the telescope becomes the camera lens - a generous amount tape will hold a film canister on.

Sam

Cheers. Bit of detail, lot of glare :(

I'll keep this one on topic and have a crack at Saturn later if it's clear. I do think that a long exposure webcam will be needed to get a decent shot of it though.

In terms of webcams, the instructions I've looked at involve pulling them apart and fiddling with the electronics. Are these available for sale ready for action? Electronics aint my thing :shock:

I really wish I had a telescope lol. Even one that would be powerful enough for me to make out saturn, it's been an ambition of mine for a while to see it in detail in person lol. I can see it from the ground right now but it just looks like another star :(

Archived