Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen Porta II AZ Mount vibration issue

I've been using a Vixen Porta II Mount with my ls60 solar scope (which with the double stack filter) weights about 4kg and it's fine.

I wanted a light weight portable mount and the porta is great with this scope with no vibrations or issues.

The slo mo controls were also a must for me which ruled out the az4 sadly. 

I recently purchased an OMC140 (as a travel scope) and wanted to use it on the porta as well.

However with the omc on the porta I'm experiencing a really annoying vibration after moving the scope, touching the focuser or slo mo moving.

It's not really bad and settles after a few seconds but it's a bit of a pain when you are trying to fine focus as you have to wait for it to settle after each adjustment before you can see the results.

The OMC weighs 3.5kg (according to Orion's website) but I think it is about the same as the ls60 if not slightly heavier.

I also make sure it's balanced when mounting.

Does anyone else have this issue with their az mount (porta or other make)?

Would something like a skytee2 (higher payload) give me the same affect? I know an eq5 or eq6 would be fine but I like the az style for grab and go and need the mount to be portable.

Alan suggested I hang a weight off the tripod which I will try but I just wanted to see about others experiences? 

Archived