SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Replacing standard SW thread on focuser tube to 2inch-1.25 easily

Hi,

After a bit of advice, Ive quickly found that the standard adapter on the Skywatcher I have (200p) is abit shoddy and would like to move to a compression ring alternative if possible.

Im enquiring about a 2 inch EP (my first) and I currently have 2x 1.25 EP's and would like to internchange them fairly easily without too much hassle.

Is there any thoughts how i can go about this please? I think I know what I want.. its just finding the right adapters to do it which im still not fully conversant with yet? :)

Thanks

Many Thanks digging that out of me,

Cant find many reviews on the clicklock system but looks quite good and what I might be looking for.

Im assuming i would still require the skywatcher 2 inch adapter to lock the 2 inch extender then click the reducer into place.  Or could I get the correct threaded part to connect straight onto the focusing tube?  Could that cause any focusing issues with it being too long?

Once people have used the Click-lock system they don't go back to the knurled thumb screws, the 2" click-lock fits inside the focuser and the knurled screws on the focuser hold it in place, from then on its slide a lever to lock or unlock...

20140816_1659101.jpg

Right! Now I follow, sorry.

I thought it fit straightonto the threaded part of the focusing tube. I need to secure it with the adapter!

I'll put it on the list and purchase when I finally get around to getting out to observe.

Thanks

post-43737-0-99027100-1429038058_thumb.j

• 2 years later...
On 12/04/2015 at 17:02, Tinker1947 said:

Once people have used the Click-lock system they don't go back to the knurled thumb screws, the 2" click-lock fits inside the focuser and the knurled screws on the focuser hold it in place, from then on its slide a lever to lock or unlock...

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I think this arrangement is what I'm after.

I want to be able to use 2" filters with my 2" and 1.25" eyepieces to save buying two sizes. I'd also like to be able to fit for example an OIII for a session then change between EPs without lots of screwing and unscrewing.

So if I replace the SW 2" eyepiece holder with the 47mm clicklock, then the SW 1.25 one with the 1.25 clicklock reducer, I could just leave the 47 in all the time (with or without filter).

The M54 drawtube clicklock would fit but it would apparently need the 37mm extension to match the SW 2" adapter - which would cost more and the M54 would actually never be removed or used, so seems a bit pointless if the 47 does the job on its own.

Did you get any focussing issues with that setup? Hopefully it would also be deep enough to avoid EP barrels hitting filters. As long as I remember when I stick the Cheshire in :eek:

Thanks.

What is the diameter of the clamp that holds the eyepiece adapters? The extension clicklocks are 2" wide so if the existing clamp is wider there is the risk that it won't be held quite squarely. There is also a clicklock with the dovetail fitting if that's what your eyepiece adapters also have. 

You can screw 2" filters into the bottom of the 1.25" clicklock with enough clearance for eyepieces but not enough to use with a Barlow (but you probably wouldn't be using a Barlow for an OIII filter). If you go with the 2" 47mm extension and screw filters to the bottom of that then you will have loads of clearance. The 47mm refers to the length of the clicklock that protrudes from your focuser and doesn't include the length of the nosepiece which is probably another 30mm or so. 

Yes the SW eyepiece holders have a dovetail that goes into the focuser. The focuser drawtube has an adapter with 2 thumbscrews which engage the dovetails on the EP holders (see Marky's pic above). The drawtube female thread is M54 but I'd have to check what the focuser adapter diameter is. I do know that my 2" EP will go into it though so it must be larger than 2" (NB this was a mistake, the EP didn't focus).

There is a dovetail clicklock - it's the S57 one - but I couldn't find one with the optical length necessary (47mm I believe is about right), so I'd have to buy the S57 then the 37mm clicklock. In that situation I'd go for the M54 instead and screw it onto the focuser drawtube rather than use thumbscrews. But I was hoping to avoid the extra clicklock cost.

In terms of alignment, I guess I could even drill small indentations to act as sockets in the clicklock so the thumbscrews are permanently engaged in the same place. Thinking about it, that might happen anyway given the nature of thumbscrews.

Archived