Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will We Catch The ISS???

After two years of last using my scopes, I am set up ready to catch the ISS.  Partner downloaded the app, and with it showing the ISS currently over Chile, he is boggled at the thought of the first pass over in 30mins, bless him. "That's mental!" to directly quote him.  He's quite interested about tonight, oh and I've found a new use for my SkyScout bracket - piggybacking the 20D in lieu of a tripod! It's great to be back out there. Can't wait to see if I can remember what I had learned after 2 years out of the game.  Fingers crossed!!

post-5718-0-92636000-1428432937_thumb.jp

post-5718-0-27904000-1428432997_thumb.jp

It is going to be a lot higher at the 21:55 pass tonight if you do not get a good chance with the 20:19 pass.

But the 21:55 pass is short - think it must disappear into the earths shadow along the track.

May be worth trying for both.

Just looked out here and I suspect I have no chance of the 20:19 pass, the orange glow to the west is not the sunset, it is the sodium lighs off of the underside of the clouds.

I was just watching that with a pair of 15x70 bins. What sort of magnification would one need to make out any detail visually. Obviously I wouldn't expect much. Perhaps just a hint of obvious structure rather than just a point or circle. A quick estimate suggests that 15x70s should be able to do that but I couldn't see any hint of structure. I may try again with my 4" frac later today or this week but that will be harder to follow it as it passes overhead

May i ask would any satelites have passed around 9 to 9:30 gmt and be visible in the mids ?

i ask because whilst out with the bins i saw what appeared to be a star moving at some speed. My first though was an aircraft at hil altitude but wouldnt the lights be flashing?

I tried to check mt iss tracker but network was poor out back

Archived