NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Black hole colliding

CedrikG

Hi!
For a few weeks I have been wondering ...

There are many hubble image of galaxy colliding together. I was wondering what was happening to the back hole in the center of each of these galaxy ?

Are they making one single, more massive black hole ? if so, how can we explain it ?

Thanks in advance !

post-43738-0-09815600-1428329760_thumb.j

Thats the gravity that confuse me. Why does the smaller Black hole doesn't get ''destroyed'' by the bigger black hole. I always been told that black hole were not giant vacuum as we thought they were, they are not sucking material but destroying them as they get closer of the object. Just like a Neutron star but much denser, the Neutron star is not sucking material. So if black hole get together, that mean that one eat the other one, but then ... it mean its not only eating black hole but also the surrounding star, dust and gaz ?

hmmmm ...

Neutron star is sucking material in, get close and the gravity attracts you/anything to it and you are very flat on the surface of a neutron star.

A feeding black hole is a Quasar, well if it is the big one in the middle of a galaxy.

Black holes, Neutron stars, white dwarfs, any old star takes stuff in.

There are video's of comets falling into our sun, that is the sun munching on a comet.

Every years there are thousands of tons of material captured by the earth - same thing.

It is just mass and gravity.

Very very interesting, thanks a lot for the info guys !

Am I right to see a black hole just as a denser version of a Neutron star or the extreme collapse of the core has made it a ... different object ?

Am I right to see a black hole just as a denser version of a Neutron star or the extreme collapse of the core has made it a ... different object ?

Easier to just think of it as mass.

Trouble is no real idea of what it ends up as, you get nothing in the way of information out, so  not possible to determine what is going on.

Think a Neutron star is as it says just neutrons but not in contact (??) Forget the term that keeps them seperate. Something pressure.

Black hole could/is/maybe therefore when they collapse to a touchng stage - but still neutrons.

Does more mass then crush neutrons to a different state? Suppose a ball of Quarks, not then a partical that we are used to and so a different state.

So inside there could be stages that the "mass" goes through but we are never aware of.

Denser version of a neutron star will do. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Why make life difficult. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Hi!

For a few weeks I have been wondering ...

There are many hubble image of galaxy colliding together. I was wondering what was happening to the back hole in the center of each of these galaxy ?

Are they making one single, more massive black hole ? if so, how can we explain it ?

Thanks in advance !

CedrikG, 

Gravity's Engines by Caleb Scharf gives a brilliant insight into how these objects sculpture & scour the cosmos as well as their (messy) eating habits & cannibalism.  

His accounts are clear and you don't need to be Einstein to absorb his text, there are few numbers and formulae (if any).  

The following is a concept from the text mostly his words :  

Black holes are both constructive as well as destructive.   Galaxy clusters are prime candidates at unveiling black holes life cycles, & whilst a big galaxy cluster can occupy 30 000 000 Ly across a supermassive black hole is crammed into the equivelent of the orbit of Neptune (0.00000000001 the size of the cluster)  That is the size of the following full stop (.) compared to 1/3rd the distance to the moon.  Galaxy clusters represent a nearly closed environment as they are almost self contained and only attached distantly to other systems by existing at the intersection of the cosmic web. Very little can leave & very little is introduced to the system.  They are (almost) surrounded by void & are therefore an excellent lab for watching black holes behaviour. The system exists in a space time distortion of a quadrillion solar masses, more than enough toys and food for the black holes to play with.  

I had been thinking about that Quarks ball before! And honestly this is what confuse me the most.
Lets see a neutron star or black hole as a very very very ... heum VERY ? compressed snow ball, or ice ball lets say. If a Neutron star is a ball of compressed neutron, how can there be ANY space for sucking gaz and dust around them. Where goes this material ?

Sorry if I am dumb a little, haha.

Archived