Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using a Quark with a 120mm telescope, UV/IR or ERF?

paulastro

I've been using my chromosphere Quark for a while now, usually on a Equinox 80 and sometimes with Peter Drew's 127mm achromat that is usually used as a PST mod.

I'd like to try my Quark with my 120mm Equinox, but would like to know if anyone has used a Quark with a 120mm aperture scope using only a UV/IR cut off filter in the diagonal - as opposed to having an ERF to protect the objective? In the Quark intructions it says that the Quark can be used on scopes under approximately 120mm with only the UV/IR filter. I should think that DayStar wouldn't say this without there being a margin of error for safety, so I wouldn't think that using 120mm instead of say 119mm is going to make any difference! However, it would be reassuring if anyone had actually done this and survived to tell the tale! Can anyone help?

Regards, Paul

I use my Quark with a Beloptik 2" UV/IR filter - no problems in a SW 120ED. A front mounted ERF would keep any mini thermal issues at bay though- at a hefty price... The UV/IR filter glass should not be tight in its filter cell for this use..... as I was advised.

Many thanks Gerry. That's great. BigSumorian (Stu) sent me a pm saying much the same thing. I have the 120 on the mount in the observatory ready to go as soon as the mist has lifted a bit more. Thanks again. I'll add another post later when I have 'first light' in this configuration. Regards, Paul

Archived