Sky-Watcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso and a DSLR?

Hi there,

I'm just getting into astronomy and my 5 year old son is really keen on stars and space, so I am looking for a telescope we can both enjoy (albeit with my supervision!). I am also a keen photographer and am looking to get into astrophotography beyond pictures of the Moon using my tripod.

I was looking at buying a Star-Watcher Explorer 130M or Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD but I was taken with the Heritage 90 for its compactness and its lack of collimation requirement, as well as its long focal length and big apature. The Virtuoso mount is also attractive. So far so good, but I was wondering if I could attach my DSLR (a Nikon D80) to the Mak telescope using a t-mount, or if this was unrecommended - and if so why? I have seen some Youtube reviews suggesting that it is possible, but I have also read that it isn't really a good idea. Any thoughts please?

Cheers

Stephen

Hi

Out of the box the Virtuoso will track but it can't compensate for the earth's rotation so you can't get long exposure from it. This does not matter for the Moon or Jupiter as for these you usually work with video clips.

However a member is trying it on a wedge but has not shared any photos.

The 90mm mak that the virtuoso is based on can be used with a DSLR to shoot objects like the moon and planets however when combined with the mount there will be a problem getting balance.

The mount itself can handle a DSLR with lens and even though its an ALT/AZ mount you should be able to do around 30 second exposure time with short FL lenses.

Alan

The mount is Alt/Az so not right for long exposure.

The DSLR will be too heavy to attach, I would guess the combined weight is exceeding what the mount can do.

Additionally the 90 is a Mak and that is not right for DSLR imaging as the scope is too slow.

What you can do with it is attach a webcam where the eyepioece goes and get a video of Jupiter and Saturn, then stack the best frames of the video and do planetary imaging.

But in realsitic terms that I suggest is it.

Thanks folks! So would I be better off work one of the Neutonians I mentioned then?

Thats a difficult question either would be an improvement visually but I think neither can achieve focus with a DSLR connected (not enough inward travel of the focusser) although it might be possible with a barlow lens connected....

Alan

The heritage is OK to set up go outside and lokk at objects in the sky, you will really need a long focal length eyepiece to get a reasonable field of view - 32mm plossl.

Photography has a sort of minimum set of requirements:

Mount has to be Equitorial, and it has the have motors to track - goto is often preferred as it saves time, it also need to be stable.

Scope needs to be small and "fast" f/5 or f/6 area in general.

You want a DSLR and a remote timer or intervalometer to enable exposures greater then 30 seconds.

Few other attachments.

Scopes are usually in the 70mm ED refractor type or the 130PDS.

Mount options depend on scope, the EQ5 will do either, the iOptron will take a 70mm refractor. I think the 130PDS is a bit heavy for the iOptron.

That will allow exposures of 60-120 seconds depending on how good you set up the polar alignment.

Some will appear on the used market over time, so you could be patient and collect items when/if they appear.

By the way a DSO long exposure setup it not overly suited to planetary imaging. The Heritage 90 would still be better for that.

There are two telescopes in the virtuoso range the mak90 and a 114p reflector the later is f4.38 so much faster but will be fussier for better eyepieces.

I think to help with decisions be realistic on the sort of images you see yourself wanting to produce. If you can identify what that is then you can look at what is needed to produce it.

It might be that the telescope initially is for a new hobby and to show your son what is up there. Tracking in that case might be useful as the object will stay in the fov longer for them to look at.

If you are into diy then there might be more you can achieve with the mount.

Or go totally manual there is the heritage 100p or 130p. Both easy plonk and use telescopes.

There is a member on here who uses a virtuoso mount with the heritage 130p telescope on it.

Thanks for the replies folks! From a photography perspective on interested in take photos of deep space objects such as galaxies and nebulae. I can take moon shots using my camera and tripod so that's not a priority for me. Regarding my son, I'm interested in showing him whatever I can - the moon, planets, nebulae / deep space objects - but really the moon and planets in the first instance.

From reading the replies so far I get the impression my requirements are mutually exclusive? A straightforward telescope for myself and my son to stargaze but one that I can also use for deep space astrophotography doesn't really exist?

The telescope is not the stumbling block it is the mount.

But if your expectations are not set at hubble standards then have a read of this thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/?fromsearch=1

You haven't mentioned budget (or I missed out) but if you have all the photo gear already what about looking at something like the skywatcher staradventurer just for your photo gear.

I think you should also read this thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/?fromsearch=1

As at 4 I don't think grey fuzzy works unless you sell what it is you are/did look at by the story of what it is plus a hubble image on Google. Like how old how far away how big etc.

Thanks happy-kat. Sorry, I should have mentioned my budget! I'm not looking to spend masses to be honest since I'm not sure how this is going to pan out. I was thinking of £150-200, maybe £225 at a push. I know like anything astronomy can become something of a personal arms-race of not kept in check so I am aware that "for just another £50 I could get 'x'" and I'm trying to keep that in check. I have been looking on eBay for possible deals but that's something of a minefield as I don't really know what I want (hence this thread).

Regarding photo equipment, I have a Nikon D80, an 18-200mm lens, a 70-300mm lens, a tripod, and a remote (wired) shutter trigger with bulb lock.

The 90 virtuoso will certainly do an ok job on planets and give good lunar views plus the mount has buttons which kids love .

The mount itself has some interesting functions for normal photography too and the scope can be detached and used as a super tele lens though it is a bit limied due to its slow F ratio.

Its always hard  choosing a scope with kids in mind but usually something that you look through at the thin end and shows good views of tthe moon, jupiter and saturn ticks most of the boxes.

Alan

How are you at photo editing, this link might give you something to work with for your existing gear.

Astrophotography without a star tracker:

You have oodles of stuff on this site to read and endless members happy to offer comment on questions asked.

And this thread might make the virtuoso attractive.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/239925-skywatcher-heritage-virtuoso-controlled-via-bluetooth/?fromsearch=1

Looking at the price of it at FLO there is room in the budget to get a 32mm eyepeice as well.

DSO will be more limiting as not all will be bright enough to find using the little mak90. The other telescopes you had listed were 130mm much more light gatherine, still grey smudges though.

Double stars and brighter obejects like m42, m25, m44 should I hazzard a guess be OK to find plus the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn.

You could see in a search people's review of this on here or google too.

Look for skymax 90 it is the same telescope, ignore the different mounts it might be on.

Choice is generally a compromise just got to decide in which direction to make them.

Some will be eaiser for your little boy to use, some harder to use the mount on, eye peice on end of telescope is more obvious for a young child to use I would imagine.

I think if you can get to either an astro shop or a local astro meet would be a good idea to see these in the flesh.

Also reading reviews can give some indication of user satisfaction on using the different ones you are considering. Ah just seen your edited word.

Archived