Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable mount capable of holding ~8lbs

I recently bought an 80mm apo refractor for its portability and ability to take decent planetary pictures. I'm looking for a portable mount that could hopefully fit in a backpack (its ok if it sticks out). The 80mm refractor only weighs ~5lbs, with my dslr on it along with barlow I dont think it ever goes over 8lbs. I currently have 2 camera tripods that I can mount this setup on, but it is waaaaaay too wobbly, especially when wanting to adjust the view.

Ive noticed some tripods have these long rotatable handles to guide the telescope around, I would really like that because I think it would probably make the views a lot more stable when scanning the skies. http://imgur.com/a/hOwHt

Is there an option for me? I know I cant get an EQ6 kind of stability if I want portability, but I'm trying to find the best compromise. The refractor is very light, and I feel like there must be something out there thats reasonably portable that could do that job.

Thanks!

How about the ES Twilight 1 mount: ESTW1

Says good for 18lbs.

Seen another similar design, would be helpful if I could recall what and who made it.

Will try thinking for a while but not that good at it.

Thanks for the reply! This does look like a really good bang for buck mount, and will keep it as an option for now. My only issue with it is that its 16lbs and still reasonably chunky. I may come to realize that thats the best option, but id like to see if there could be anything lighter/more portable :)

Generally a mount used for a camera does require a EQ type which teh Vixen Porta 2 isn't, other people may know if planetary imagines will work with a AZ type....

I am aware of this, but I am not delving in DSO photography yet. This mount is basically just to keep me busy and to slowly get all the gear I need.

Eventually Ill be willing to dish out 1500$+ on the mount, but even if I did so now, I wouldn't get a chance to use it. I live in the city and I just need a decent portable setup, and EQ mount and its counter weights would be way too much to lug around, and I think it would end up just picking up dust in my apartment :p

Archived