NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st attempt, and looking for recommendations

Hi all,

I've been a keen photographer for several years, and managed to get a reasonably decent scope last year (Celestron 5SE and GOTO Mount) and decided to start trying my hand at astrophotography.

I've taken 2 sets of images of Orion's belt as a starter:

1. 30 x 2second exposure, 5 seconds apart, 1600 ISO, 150mm f5.0 lens, Canon EOS 600

2. 130 x 2second exposure, 3 seconds apart, 1600 ISO, 150mm f5,.0 lens, Canon EOS 600

Using DeepSkyStacker, and all the default settings I get the 2 pictures on the link. but trying to use any of the advanced settings in the SW, the program just crashes.

Anyone got any alternative software I can use, or any recommendations on how I can get more detail to show up?

Thanks in advance.

(Link to external site where I keep all my pics, and download links on right of page for full size images)

http://andy-stewart.deviantart.com/gallery/53753206/Deep-Sky-Stuff

Hi Andy,

I used to take images with my CPC800 and my Canon attached. You should be able to take 30 secs exposure when it's tracking and this will bring out a lot of detail. You want a mixture of short exposures of say 15 secs and longer exposures. You should be able to stack them in DSS ok but you need the latest version 3.3.4. You can download it from the DSS site.

You can use levels to amalgamate the short and long exposures so that the core is not burnt out.

Peter

I take it then i'll need to do that on scope with tracking to stop streaking?

Basically yes.

Although the Orion nebula most likely needs exposures of different lengths because of the high dynamic range.

One of mine around the belt area..........a stack of 300sec subs.......the Nebula is a bit blown out.

m42embed.jpg

You might not need 300sec exposures, depends on how bright your sky is.

My image was taken with pretty bad light polution and was 8x300secs Canon 60Da ISO 1600 with a Sigma 105mm macro at f/4

I wanted more but that night clouds halted more and stopped me getting some shorter exposures as well.

My images are of course guided on an HEQ5 Pro.

Longer exposures are always better but don't over expose.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so out trying again, now I've worked out alignment on the scope.

Orion's belt has been a bit too low in the sky, so pointed at Capella and got this.

Please bear in mind, i'm just outside a major town so the light pollution is horrendous.

10 x 120 second exposures, ISO 400 f5.0, 150mm lens (tried ISO 1600 but everything was orange :p )

http://andy-stewart.deviantart.com/art/Capella-525328589

Archived