NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great Lunar seeing

jetstream

I have managed to see the central rille in Alpine Valley a few times now and tonight's view of it was VG, I love this whole area with the vast mountain ranges nearby. Under these great seeing conditions a true sense of the size of these lunar targets can be appreciated - tonight's sky in combination with my dob was perfect match, mags just over 300x were possible- and were very sharp.

But then the party was over...scintillation was causing me to drop the mag down to 140x or so for a stable image and I then decided to pout and go watch TV :grin: During the 1.5 hrs of great seeing Jupiter gave up some excellent detail, this planet has been a good observing companion all season.

The resolution possible on the moon is crazy good and this is what keeps me coming back to it time and time again, it really is one of my favorite objects.

Lovely report, Gerry. I haven't really worked with the Moon this season, so I may give it a go this week. Work on some Lunar 100s. I agree that Jupiter has been a lovely companion and it's kind of disappointing to note that by the time I can set up - typically after midnight - it's already in the western skies.

Been good weather these last few days, so as well as sitting with Jupiter, I've been out galaxy hunting :smiley:

Nice one Gerry, I also love that area of the Moon :smiley: I must admit though there are a few interesting areas of the Moon that I have seen in the past but I am unable to locate them again, especially that Moon base shaped area that's on You-Tube.. I have only seen it once and I cant find it again. We have had 2 great nights here this week but unfortunately I have been to tired to venture out.

Great report Gerry. I love it when the conditions allow really high magnification and you can pretend to be a Lunar Module pilot as you zoom over the lunar surface. I had a night last year when I was able to Powermate my 6mm Ethos for a 100 degree 530x view and it was really breathtaking :grin:

Archived