SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Backyard EOS Bias and Flat Frames

StevieO

Hi,

Am trying out BYE for the first time, having used Canon Utilities before.

Very pleased with the Frame & Focus and Imaging, but it seems to run out of steam when it comes to calibration frames.

Although there is 'labeling' for flats and bias, there's no process for carrying these out from within the software.

For instance, for flats you can only switch to AV mode on the camera itself. Not a serious shortcoming but it's not a neat solution. More serious is the apparent inability to take bias frames due to the minimum possible exposure within the software of 1/200 second, as opposed to 1/4000 in camera. This means taking bias frames in camera or with Canon Utilities. Again it's not serious but it's a pity such a useful piece of software requires workarounds to function properly.

Or have I missed something?

Cheers

StevieO

When I do my flats in BYEOS, i change the Bulb mode in the Imaging area and a drop down menu comes down and choose AV Flats. It should set the right exposure etc for you.

For Bias, in the same drop down menu from before I'm sure it should have 1/4000 right at the bottom

I don't seem to be able to get these settings up. I'm currently using the free preview version. I thought this was fully featured but maybe you only get the full features when you buy it, which I will do.

Cheers

StevieO

Hi SteveO,

I do have my own support forum at forum.otelescope.com, which is much more faster than reporting issues here :)

In any event, changing the dial mode programtically is only possible on high end models, this is a Canon SDK limitation.

You do not have to change the dial to AV, BYE can just as easily take AV pictures with the dial set to M.

Hope this helps,

Guylain

I must confess that I do not use BYE for flats and Bias.

Bias frames just need to be done with the lens cap on, and as they are 1/8000s you do not need to worry about thermal noise. So I just put the camera on the table, put it into high speed shutter mode and held the button down until it had taken 300 frames.

For flats I disconnect the camera from the computer at the end of the session, put the camera into AV mode and high speed shutter and take 40 frames in a minute or so, as opposed to 10 minutes while I wait for BYEOS to download each frame to the computer.

Archived