Beginner books

Hi,

as a beginner I bought "night watch" by terence dickinson, it's an amazing book I learned a lot from it. I was planing to get "turn left at orion" but was wondering will this add to my knowledge that I already gained from "night watch" or will I be repeating myself? if yes, can you please recommend what should I read next?

Thanks, and clear skies to you all :)

Hi there, I have not read Night Watch, however 'Turn Left At Orion' (TLAO) is a really practical volume on how to locate and star-hop to interesting Deep Sky Objects (DSO'S) in the night sky, so if you are planning on taking your hobby further, this would be a great practical book to read and use.

Are you looking for 'practical' or 'inspirational'?

Former, TLAO and Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders - both *great* books...

Latter, The Light-Hearted Astronomer is a good read once you get past the buying equipment sections (assuming you already own a scope).

Vintage: I particularly love The Pleasures of the Telescope by Garrett Putnam Serviss (1912ish) - widely available as a modern reprint or free on Kindle. Serviss's descriptions are delighful. You'll find no mention of galaxies tho - back then they were called nebulae...

And of course, a good atlas/star chart.... :)

In preferance to TLAO I like The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion.

It gives one prominent constellation for the month and what is in it.

For whatever reason it suits me better then TLAO.

Strange and I suppose no Significant reason.

Just to throw another in.

Archived