Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SynScan Firmware Update on Mac (Windows 7)

DSDunbar53

I've installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro laptop using Boot Camp.  I've been trying to update the Firmware on my SynScan v3 hand controller using a Serial-USB converter cable.  When I run the updater it can't detect the hand unit.  I've done the obvious - checked the COM port, tried different USB-serial converters - and it simply doesn't work.  Using exactly the same computer and cables I have succeeded in upgrading the firmware on my Orion Wifi unit, so my suspicion is that the SynScan uploader is buggy (or very particular about hardware).  Has anyone succeeded in doing this and if so, what brand of Serial-USB converter did you use?  Any other ideas about why this doesn't work or how to fix it?

• 11 months later...
On 3/23/2015 at 18:17, DSDunbar53 said:

I've installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro laptop using Boot Camp.  I've been trying to update the Firmware on my SynScan v3 hand controller using a Serial-USB converter cable.  When I run the updater it can't detect the hand unit.  I've done the obvious - checked the COM port, tried different USB-serial converters - and it simply doesn't work.  Using exactly the same computer and cables I have succeeded in upgrading the firmware on my Orion Wifi unit, so my suspicion is that the SynScan uploader is buggy (or very particular about hardware).  Has anyone succeeded in doing this and if so, what brand of Serial-USB converter did you use?  Any other ideas about why this doesn't work or how to fix it?

If you are still stuck check here

Archived