NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eclipse 2015 - My first solar images

Robp

Here is my attempt at the Eclipse.

I purchased some solar film late last year but never got round to using it.

On Thursday morning I checked with my partner and we can just see the sun through a gap between a garage and a house to the rear of our garden during the time of the Eclipse

The cloud cover for Friday didn't look good but I decided to take a chance and booked the Friday morning off.

Thursday night I put together a rudimentary filter, posted a panic thread up in the imaging area for advice and started reading up on how to take solar images.

I set the gear up at 7am Friday morning under a blanket of cloud more in hope that I could get a small gap in the cloud to get an image.

The eclipse started, and still it was cloud. I almost gave up hope but then the clouds started to thin.

To my amazement blue skies appeared and lasted until the moon had almost completed its transition (you can see a little cloud in the last image).

These are my first solar images, and I must admit I rather enjoyed it. I'm pretty happy with the results, a big thank you to all those who offered advice both to me, and on the multiple threads here that I read offering others advice. Maybe I should have practiced before hand but then it would have been guaranteed cloud. I will definitely be imaging the sun in the future.

Without colour:

post-11689-0-42664300-1427019014_thumb.j

With Colour:

post-11689-0-08759200-1427018972_thumb.j

Close up #1

post-11689-0-01984400-1427020403_thumb.j

Close up #2

post-11689-0-68807800-1427020398_thumb.j

Equipment:

Skywatcher 130pds

HEQ5

Canon 1100D

Baader solar film filter

I used the primer for processing (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153712-simple-white-light-solar-imaging/) but I haven't had much success stacking multiple frames yet so hopefully I can get that sorted to increase the quality a little. I also want to have a go at an animation when I get a chance.

Hope you enjoy them!

Rob

Archived