Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

" Solar Projection Screen "

L8-Nite

I thought I'd post this here for those who might be interested in doing solar projection, but don't have a commercially made screen for their scope.

For many scopes, a simple solar projection screen can be made in a few minutes from several items usually found around the house, and will work for most scopes with a finder bracket.

All you need is a stiff piece of cardboard such as a notebook cover, a squeegee handle or short legnth of broom handle, and a wood screw. The photo should be self explanatory. 

I made this one out of a piece of plastic pipe with a cork jambed into the end, and the white cardboard notebook cover screwed onto the cork.  Hope this will be of help to someone as a last minute solution. 

Wishing everyone clear skies in the morning !   :smiley:

It is usually cheaper scopes where you find plastic parts on the focusser for instance.  Also some scopes have plastic baffles in the tube.  Very cheap scopes may have plastic lenses!  Additionally you should be wary of using any eyepiece that has cemented lenses - this pretty much restricts you to the cheap Ramsden type that are available from a few outlets.

Archived