Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

andrewluck

Breckland Astro Spring bash

I've got a pitch booked, looking forward to it ...just hope the forecast improves !!

Forecast isn't great. Looks like it'll be better further west on Friday morning so I'll put off travelling until lunchtime. Fingers crossed!

Yup, got a close eye on forecasts and satellite images, but assuming the worst

How was it ? Unfortunately we didn't think the forecast was good enough for us to commit to the journey.

Just hoping that things pick up in time for kelling next month,

Hi

Mostly cloudy was the verdict. Friday night was clear for about an hour and there were gaps last night. When it was clear it was spectacular.

Cheers

Andrew

I took a chance and went for it. Eclipse clouded out! I woke at 2.30 am on Saturday to find it had cleared. It sure was spectacular, and nice to see the Milky Way again. Time stood still while I took in the view  before deciding to get the dob set up. I managed to see a few of the Leo galaxies.  By 4 am ish I could perceive the end of Astronomical Darkness, quite subtle, but something which I have never witnessed before.  It didnt seem worth getting the scope ready on Saturday evening but I ended up chasing gaps in the cloud with the 10x50 bins and got the chance to view some of the open clusters in Auriga. 

shame it wasnt to be ... i had a consolation prize of a trip out on sunday, which was reasonably fruitful, although nothing like as dark as it is out at haw wood

The really good news is that they had a great night on Sunday and were able to show the new site manager and his family a nice selection of deep sky objects. He's fired up and making plans for the autumn event.

• Like 1

That's great news. I was worried about the change in management. We try to get up to haw wood throughout the year, usually as a last minute decision when conditions permit.

The new Haw Wood web site is now up and running, so are the new facilities block and playground!

Was up there this weekend, very nice new facilities. New manager very on side. Looking to go next new moon although the hours are getting restricted now summer is upon us

• Like 1