Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opticron Imagic 10x50 vs Opticron Discovery WP PC 10x50?

Yesterday I decided to upgrade my old Celestron Upclose 10x50 and ordered a pair of Opticron Imagic 10x50 mostly based on good reviews on SGL. However, I got an email from the dealer here in Sweden today, with an offer to buy the Opticron Discovery WP PC 10x50 for the same price as the Imagic. On paper it looks like a good deal, but I'd like to know if someone here's got some hands on experience with the Discovery WP or better yet, both the Discovery WP and imagic as a comparison.

Here's a link for "Porro prism vs roof prism binoculars.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/242607-porro-vs-roof-prism-binoculars/

Myself I prefer Porro prism binoculars all around, especially for stargazing.

Moderately priced to Inexpensive roof prism binoculars have been know to exhibit spiking on bright celestial objects.

Also, Porro prism binoculars offer better overall illumination than roof prism binoculars for stargazing.

Stan

Stan

I fancied the iMagics, still do.

I would go for the Porro prism rather than the Roof prism type. For me there's   more to grasp/hold  with the Porro's and according to the small print,  30 Year guarantee over  5 Years for the roof's

Imagic TGA WP 10x50 would be my choice.

Thanks for the replies! I went for the Imagics. They've got good reputation and were the binos I ordered in the first place. I'm sure they'll be quite a step up from the Celestron UpClose binos I currently have. :smiley:

Should arrive along with some clouds next week. :cool:

I bought some Helios Naturesport 8x40s from First Light Optics last Year and they are very good optics for my eyes.

The Imagic, Strathspey, Pentax PCW and Oberwerk are still on my 10x50s list.

will be interesting to read your first light with the Imagics.

Charic,

The Pentax PCF WP II waterproof/fogproof Porro prism binoculars are excellent binoculars for the money.

However, some individuals complain that the Field of View is too narrow & not to their liking.

Be sure and look through the Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II if your have the opportunity. watching.gif

Years ago I decided to purchase the Pentax 12x50 PCF WP II instead of the 10x50 because of the light polluted region that I live in.

However, some individuals find it more difficult to hand hold a 12x binoculars vs. the 10x.

Stan

Archived