Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

March 12, 2015: Another day, another flare from AR12297

Just spent my lunchtime outside with the H-alpha scope, and was treated to a very nice display of filaments and proms, but AR12297 took centre stage, first with a bright ring around it, and later with a VERY bright flare erupting from it. Really dynamic. It changed shape as you were looking. One strand of the flare appeared almost as an eyebrow over the sunspot. Another bright spot appeared on the western limb, but did not turn into a flare. At the end of the session I could see a thin dark filament coming out of the flare region, moving slowly northwards.

I will have a look on GONG later.

It really is active, there were just 2 M flares in the last half an hour which I caught at their peak.

There was a goodun this morning too and that small spot on the limb got really bright.

Hoping for another X before the seeing goes totally.

Had another look during tea break and another flare was seen, just west of the big sunspot, but still within the same AR. A huge dynamic bright area developed, starting compactly, and developing into a distorted W shape, before finally dying down and again a thin long filament appeared. I assume it is a post flare loop seen for above

Sounds quite exciting!  Tried a few minutes of white light earlier, but someone had spray-painted a thin coat of white paint across the inside of the sky-dome.  And then added thicker coats during the afternoon.  Most people around here would say "it's a lovely sunny day!"  Yeah, right...

Never mind, rain tomorrow :sad:  

Archived