Darn you, Celestron.

danccat

Why? Because they no longer supply the wedge for the 8se, it's now discontinued. Oh, sure, they'll sell a wedge for the smaller version of the nexstar series (up to 6") but for any decent sized scopes...nothing. why? Is it because they want you to buy the upgraded version?

So frustrating, I've looked everywhere for a second hand wedge to add but there's nothing going for sale :(

Any suggestions? Please remember that I'm no good at DIY

There's no way I could do that, it's immaculate, I just couldn't trust putting my scope on something I crafted!

Thanks for the link but I'd prefer putting a wedge on my already existing tripod.. it's smooth and currently does the job nicely... apart from polar alignments.

• 3 weeks later...

It will work, and here's the proof:

post-41983-0-24280300-1426885324.jpg

It certainly made my tripod much more stable (as opposed to claims of the opposite I have seen in various fora). 

That said, I assume that you are aware of the limitations of the SE scopes on a wedge, given that they lack worm gears.  As I've put it elsewhere, it's an incremental improvement.  I'd still do it again.

Hope this helps - 

Matty K.

Personally I think you had a lucky escape because I dislike wedges for fork SCTs but there are plenty of well made ones around. I had a Meade Supa Wedge which was about as supa as an evening with a Stasi interrogator...

Olly

Nice first post Matty  - welcome :)

Thank YOU, sir! :)

Personally I think you had a lucky escape because I dislike wedges for fork SCTs but there are plenty of well made ones around. I had a Meade Supa Wedge which was about as supa as an evening with a Stasi interrogator...

Olly

Olly,

Understood, and thus the reason for my disclaimer about incremental improvements.  From a quality perspective, I'm not sure how it can get much better than the HD Pro in terms of materials and construction. If anything, I'd say that Celestron swung the pendulum farther than they had to - not that I'd complain.  Fair disclosure, this was an interim measure for me and there will be a CGEM arriving Tuesday next. :) 

Archived