NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a SW ST80 as a finderscope on a SW 200P

I've now had 5 sessions with the SW ST80 as a finderscope on my SW 200P.

When I first bought the SW 200P I struggled to get the scope on target, I hadn't had this problem with my Lyra 102mm refractor so I put the frac back on my obsy mount and started to think of a solution.  After all they both had 9 x 50 finderscopes on them so the playing field was level for both the scopes.

I had the chance to buy a new ST80 at a discount, new, just had no outer retail sleeve on the box.  Initially I just mounted the ST80 as closely aligned as I could without proper adjustable finder/guide scope mounting rings.

Before I go any further and for anyone new to Astronomy I am using my SW AZ EQ6 GT mount which has plenty of payload for this combination.  My mount will easily handle the weight of the SW 200P & all it's accessories. 

Please check your setup can handle the weight before buying the ST80 as a finderscope.

First light.

Very encouraging, even though the ST80 wasn't accurately aligned I found Comet Lovejoy easily, using binoculars first to help with location.  At this time it was near Orion and with good markers easy to find.

Jupiter, Orion Nebula & Pleiades were all found easily.

Second light

Again Comet Lovejoy was easy to find, had a really good session, the ST80 performed well.

Third light

Not so good, could find Comet Lovejoy with binoculars OK, but could not get the scope on to it.  By now Lovejoy was out in the dark patch between Pleiades & Cassiopeia, the lack of marking objects close to Lovejoy seemed to be part of the problem.

Fourth light

I'd bought & fitted proper adjustable guidescope rings & now had the ST80 more accurately aligned.  Definitely a step up from the basic rings that came with the ST80, Comet Lovejoy now closer to Cassiopeia was easy to find.

Fifth light.

Did more adjustment on the guide scope rings, now accurate on Jupiter & working well.  If you start with a refractor and use it for over a year and then buy a reflector it is a bit of a shock as far as getting the scope on target is concerned.

Was it worth it?  Yes it has improved target location no end, if you have the payload capacity then the ST80 is a good alternative to the more expensive finderscopes.

I just thinkl that (maybe) it would be spot on used with a Telrad, I would like to hear your comments on the Telrad please.

My ST80 is fitted with an Astro Engineering 1.25" diagonal and a Bresser 32mm Plossl eyepiece, used with the Nirvana 28mm on the SW 200P they complement each other well.

Pictures here:   http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/26267-st80-finder-upgrade-much-better-than-a-9-x-50-finder-scope/

And here: -       http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/26268-st80-upgrade-2-a-larger-dew-heater-band-was-all-i-needed-to-keep-dew-under-control/

Mounting bar is a piece of aluminum channel bought from a local scrapyard.

Boards I fitted on the North side of the obsy are doing a good job of shutting 2 street lights out, picture: -  http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/26229-street-light-boards/

I don't think that I will ever quite complete the obsy, there is always a new idea or improvement to try.

Clear skies

Fondofchips.

At a shade over 12x magnification, that is certainly going to work as one large bright finder. I tried similar when I had a 200p and ST80, albeit it was a touch taxing for the HEQ5!

If you don't mind my asking, is that a dew-strap around the secondary end of the 200p?

Russell

At a shade over 12x magnification, that is certainly going to work as one large bright finder. I tried similar when I had a 200p and ST80, albeit it was a touch taxing for the HEQ5!

If you don't mind my asking, is that a dew-strap around the secondary end of the 200p?

Russell

Yes, that is a dew strap at the secondary end, Astrozap from FLO.  Normally I have a camping mat dew shield on the front as well.  The scope is also fitted with a secondary mirror heater. 

Using a Hitecastro controller - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-four-channel-four-port-dew-controller.html

I had the dew heater down the mirror end.....then the penny dropped, I already had a fan at that end and I didn't want any heat rising either!

The smaller dew heaters for the ST80 & focuser came from this seller on Ebay  -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W-W-Astro-dew-heater-30-cm-for-4-telescopes-/191508723915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c96cf38cb

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

Archived