NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mystery galaxies

nytecam

Here's couple of interesting fields from the last two nights via 30cm f/4 SCT+SX LOdestar-Cx2+SX s/w - no filters/darks/flats used.

1] near Aldebaran = UGC3129 [[100s=5x20s] a dwarf gx and thus presumed nearby and part of the Local Group. 
It's extremely faint m15.9 and very red on Wikisky. My pic shows two marked tiny gx nearby - one like a 'satellite' of U3129 on Wikisky.
Surprised the unfiltered Lodestar that records into near-IR didn't show this gx brighter.

2] near Castor = Abell GC 586 [150s=5x30s] is the opposite of above eg tiny and faint gxs- only one IDed in Wikisky [PGC1956691 @ m15.8] which seems a clustering of gx at the core - Megastar says = 190 gx over a much larger fov than my pic. 

Google search say Abell GC 586 is subject of pro papers on lensing/dark matter/dark energy interaction = "violation of Equivalence Principle".  I'm lost here!

Any help with the simple distance of these objects appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sure those with better skies will do much better than me. :police:

post-21003-0-31215000-1424866131.jpg

post-21003-0-51215000-1424866161.jpg

Great shots!

UGC 3129 is listed at 223 MLY. The one to the NE is not listed in LEDA although there is a suspicious run of faint stars in my atlas that probably represent the gx.

For the Abell group, see attached. There are 5 PGCs identified here running from mags 18.2 to 19.1. I don't have distances for these, but the cluster is in distance class 6 with a redshift of 0.171 so maybe 2 billion LYs? There's a gx at over 3 billion just out of shot to the N.

atest.pdf

Martin

Thanks Martin - that's great info - surprised the dwarf gx is so far away.

There's some amazing stuff out there - I never tire of the hunt all from my own backyard :-)

No problem. Since the weather is so bad (3 clear nights since xmas) its good to have someone else's images to road-test the charts on….

Martin

218 MLY;

No gxs in LEDA at other positions indicated,though I'm only plotting confirmed or suspected galaxies; there are other object designations listed here

http://leda.univ-lyon1.fr/leda/param/objtype.html

so perhaps I ought to check/plot those too at some point.

Daily rainfall in the last month:

post-11492-0-50829000-1424949615.png

Still, plenty of time to crack on with the coding  :smiley:

Martin

Archived