NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The best way to "upgrade".

I am looking to get into astrophotography at some time in the future and after reading a lot (too much) its a minefield out there I have a Tele Vue Ranger 70mm Refractor

Will answer this myself as I cant find an edit function and it just 'posted' now onto the rest of my post:

I have an EQ2 mount which know I must change to stand any chance of photography, I was going to motorise it but I now know this is pointless and was thinking along the lines of this as my 1st upgrade http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-cg-4-omni-equatorial-mount-tripod.html and then motorising it, good idea? the mount is sort of my price range but..... then rather than buy a DSLR I think I will go the ccd route and maybe make my own from a webcam until I can get a 'real' one I have been advised a good stater ccd would be an ACI 12 MC although I will probably go with the MM and use filters? and if I get the bug I can upgrade from there, then onto the scope itself, Im sure my Tele Vue will give me some decent planetary pics to hone some skills? 

Now for the bit I didnt want to be doing, there are a couple of scopes on ebay atm that I have taken a fancy to (I know I know) a Meade LT-6 ACF or a  Meade ETX 125 EC which one if any of them?

Look forward to your help, thanks in advance

Although TeleVue say the 'Ranger' is not recommended for astrophotography, I have tried some lunar & solar photo's with mine and the are not that bad.

Also did photo's of the 1999 solar eclipse with a 35mm film SLR and the 2003 transit of Venus with both a 35mm film SLR & digital compact camera, (Olympus

Camedia C2040-zoom), plus full aperture Thousand Oaks glass solar filter.

I have also attached a webcam to it, but not done anything 'serious' with that setup.

PS need a little more info of your expectations and camera etc... then 'we' can advise and help!

My expectations are not too over the top I fully understand that to get top quality you have to pay top prices, I am not going down that path (I say) I will either get a cheapish webcam and adapt it (that will be fun!) or buy one of theses to start with https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/Orion_StarShoot_USB_Eyepiece_.html on my way up to http://www.tringastro.co.uk/zwo-asi120mc-colour-13-cmos-usb20-camera-with-autoguider-port-3635-p.asp (spelt it wrong in above post its the ASI 120mc although I will probably get the MM (monochrome) for DSO with a new scope at a later date, that was my thinking on it..

im in the same boat, i got myself a canon 700d and i have a 130mm newt, i haven't put them together yet as i dont have a tracking mount, the best i could do with it is planetary with very short exposure.

ive been researching it for about 2 years and found that you need a good quality tracking mount, about £500 - £1000, and the same again for a telescope so about £2000 for a basic tracking setup.

My advice would be get a good motorized eq mount, a camera and use your 70mm Refractor,its best to try and pick up a second hand mount, there are a few about

use it for a while and see how you go then think of a new scope.

just my opinion on the cheapest way as we all don't have £1000s to throw around :grin: 

im in the same boat, i got myself a canon 700d and i have a 130mm newt, i haven't put them together yet as i dont have a tracking mount, the best i could do with it is planetary with very short exposure.

ive been researching it for about 2 years and found that you need a good quality tracking mount, about £500 - £1000, and the same again for a telescope so about £2000 for a basic tracking setup.

My advice would be get a good motorized eq mount, a camera and use your 70mm Refractor,its best to try and pick up a second hand mount, there are a few about

use it for a while and see how you go then think of a new scope.

just my opinion on the cheapest way as we all don't have £1000s to throw around :grin: 

I agree with the bit about the money!! I was planning on using my Tele Vue on a new mount and having a go with a mutated webcam just to learn more about it and to see if its what I really want, a mount is important for any viewing but I am now thinking about a EQ6!! already gone up from a EQ5 + EQ5 with goto!! Do I now go with a EQ6 goto or add that at a leter stage the scope I can wait for.

I agree with the bit about the money!! I was planning on using my Tele Vue on a new mount and having a go with a mutated webcam just to learn more about it and to see if its what I really want, a mount is important for any viewing but I am now thinking about a EQ6!! already gone up from a EQ5 + EQ5 with goto!! Do I now go with a EQ6 goto or add that at a leter stage the scope I can wait for.

Good thinking! The mount is almost everything, good cameras and telescopes are wasted if not mounted well.

The HEQ5 and the EQ6 are the entry point mounts for most people. Keep your eyes on eBay and ABS as they pop up regularly second hand.

I went for the NEQ6 to start me off with.  Went second hand too.  They CAN be picked up for around £500 (I did anyway), but I think closer to £600-700 is the norm.  I figured that would be the minimum mount I would want, as later on I would inevitably want more aperture, so that would mean 200mm plus, and anything less than a EQ6 won't really cut it.

The webcam you picked would probably make a fine start.  I managed to pick up a Phillips 900 thingy webcam, but still haven't used it in anger yet.  Only got it recently (as I did all my gear really), and have only just ordered my EQmod cable.

I went for a second hand DSLR though to start with, because they aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and they will likely be better for DSO's later on, without having to fork out LOADS for a proper CCD.  And they can be used for terrestrial photography too, should I so desire.  I started with a Sony A200, but, although it was fine, I quickly realised I wanted live view, movie mode and computer control for it, so switched to a Canon 600d.  But the 450d can be picked up pretty cheap, and is meant to be a cracking camera for AP.  And if you find you don't use the camera for terrestrial photography, then then can be modded for AP anyway.  Probably still not as good as a dedicated CCD, but then it isn't a £600+ camera either.

Just things worthy of consideration.  It certainly isn't as cheap a move as the original mount you suggested, but then you will want to achieve reasonable results relatively quickly, or else you might find quickly it's not for you.  Also, try to source second hand gear as much as possible.  That way if you find it's not for you, you shouldn't lose too much money for trying it out, as the gear should still be worth what you paid for it.

Archived