Next hyperium for a Mak 127

Hartmann

I´ve just buy a 8 mm hyperion with extension rings  for a 80 mm 400  F5 and i´m very happy with the results, it´s like a new telescope compared with the old and original 0,965 eyepieces ( it´s a vixen telescope from 1986 ). i choose hyperion for  a very good eye relief , because i wear glasses.

With the Mak 127 1500 the 8 mm it´s a bit too much magnification ( 188, 250 , 300 and 375 x )  and i would like another hyperion. ( i didn´t tried the 8 mm with the mak yet, it´s raining   :grin:  )

The doubt is which hyperion choose for the widest magnification possibilities . I have three options , a 13 mm,  17 mm, or a Zoom hyperion

13 mm    22-13-10- 9- 8 mm  ( 75-115-150-167-188 x )

17 mm    21-17-13-10-9 mm  ( 75- 88- 115-150-167 x )

zoom 8-24.  24-20-16-12-8 mm   ( 60-75-94-125-188 x )

I have another plossl eyepieces   , 32 mm, great for wide angle , the stock 20 mm and two more 12,5 mm ,and  vixen NPL 10 mm but they have a limited eye relief.

which hyperion would you choose ??

Max budget 200 euros

Thanks !

The Mark III zoom is a much better choice, IMHO, together with your 32mm SP, you have all working range covered. Less time for changing eyepieces, more time for observing.

Some more ideas here if you feel like to read more:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/217907-first-eyepiece-upgrade-what-you-wish-you-had-done/page-3?hl=%2Bfirst+%2Bupgrade#entry2362198

Thanks for the link.

I´m thinking about and  the zoom have the advantage of change magnifications without swapping the hyperion extension rings, but it´s more expensive compared with the 17 mm.

Perhaps i will go for the zoom.

The Mk III 8-24mm zoom is indeed a lovely bit of kit but it's worth mentioning that the field of view decreases as you zoom out (68° FOV at 8mm and 50° FOV at 24mm). Also, I was never really happy with it when used in my 80mm 400 F/5 refractor as there was some image distortion at the edge of the field of view. When zooming out to 24mm focal length the distortions become really noticeable. Having said that, it worked like a charm when used with my 127mm SCT.

The Baader Zoom is indeed good but an F/5 achro refractor is going to show up some edge field astigmatism with many eyepieces. The true FoV of the Baader zoom at 24mm is alas a mere 42 degrees despite what the spec says and that plus the fuzzy field stop at that focal length led me to treat it as an 8-20mm zoom. At 8mm it's FoV is just a bit better than specced at 70 degrees if thats some consolation :smiley:

Despite these niggles it's a ptetty decent eyepiece for it's price.

Archived